Concrete Cube

A place for DIY project discussions.
karatestu
Great Britain

Re: Concrete Cube

Unread post by karatestu »

As Colin Wonfor would say - it can be done so imagine it :guiness;

Rather than go to the faff of making molds etc if it was me i would use the concrete "council slabs" that are available. 50mm thick and a range of sizes. Yes, making round holes is tricky but doable for the more capable diyer i think. A small diameter (well used) stone disc on an angle grinder can do some of the work initially . Work on both sides as deep as you can go without making a mess. Then hammer out with a chisel laying the slab on a bed of sand to lower the chance of splitting the slab.

For the bigger holes once a hole is present maybe the round diameter of a stone grinding (not cutting) disc will fit within the hole and that will be an easy job to make it round as the disc itself is round. It does not matter what it looks like as the driver will cover it all up when fitted. The tweeter hole will be the hardest - how about drilling lots of holes very close together along the line of the cut out. Then grinder or hammer and chisel.

It can be done so imagine it. :dance: I have often thought of doing it myself but i like using chainsaws too much :lol: . Get it done before i beat you to it.

Stu
DIY FREE ZONE

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

Them council slabs would be ideal and I gave away about 60 of them last year!!!!

Cutting all the holes is indeed doable - there is plenty of stone cutting/drilling gear out there and as you say the holes don’t have to be particularly tidy.

I like the idea of doing the casting myself only so that I can colour the concrete to ensure my wife at least gives them a chance!

I will work on making the mould this week and hopefully will begin casting next weekend!
Squeezebox Touch - Cambridge Audio Azur (pre) - Mycetias 250A Power Amp - Mycetias V2 Speakers

Ithilstone
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by Ithilstone »

Why concrete? can you make them in wood make them an 1-1.5 inch bigger in all dimensions - then cut holes and fit some spacers - then pour 1 to 1,5 in concrete one side at the time and let it settle. Turn to another side and pour some more - after you are done remove the wood - you will be left with perfect concrete cube
Nothing to see here...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Concrete speakers could be covered with something more aesthetically pleasing.

Seriously, i might have to give this a go :dance:
DIY FREE ZONE

guydarryl

Unread post by guydarryl »

polished concrete can look great and is quite trendy:

https://www.survivefrance.com/t/how-to- ... rete/10514
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1
Sony cdp xb930, Alessandro ms1

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

karatestu wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:31 pm Concrete speakers could be covered with something more aesthetically pleasing.

Seriously, i might have to give this a go :dance:
Yeah I think I’ve seen some wood veneered concrete speakers somewhere on the internet. But I’m sure there are many options regarding covering them... leather could look cool like Sonus Faber have done with some of theirs.
Squeezebox Touch - Cambridge Audio Azur (pre) - Mycetias 250A Power Amp - Mycetias V2 Speakers

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

Ithilstone wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:43 am Why concrete? can you make them in wood make them an 1-1.5 inch bigger in all dimensions - then cut holes and fit some spacers - then pour 1 to 1,5 in concrete one side at the time and let it settle. Turn to another side and pour some more - after you are done remove the wood - you will be left with perfect concrete cube
From what I’ve read on the internet and from a post the doc did a long time ago, concrete is high density and high in mass making it ideal for a speaker cabinet... and it’s cool to do something a little different!

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I only did one, based on a Wharfedale Kit 5 in 1970, it was chipboard box with lots of nails part hammered in inside to give key and quick setting concrete poured in to line each panel. Worked for bass solidity but as said you needed a forklift to move them, sold them to a friend. Commercially didn't Townsend do one that involved metal, concrete and carpets

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

There is a company now - concrete audio - making some really nice looking concrete speakers.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

We are having a new patio laid next month. I was wondering what to do with the old slabs.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc