A Bodger's Tale

A place for DIY project discussions.
SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Re: A Bodger's Tale

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

Yes, it's been one hell of a long recovery session. The depression turned to Generalised Anxiety Disorder, but recently I discovered mindfulness based cognitive therapy courtesy of Mark Williams of the Oxford Mindfulness Centre, and I've been helped enormously by the writings of Eckhart Tolle and Jon Kabat Zinn.
I've been meditating twice daily for a year now and am at last starting to get some concrete results. The intrusive thoughts still occur albeit far less often, but most importantly, the way I react to them when they occur, has changed. I no longer resist them and want them out of my life, rather I simply accept the the "is-ness" of things, observe the thoughts dispassionately whilst grounding myself on the movements of my breath, in and out, and sure enough, the thoughts hang around for a minute or two, then disappear of their own accord. I'm no longer trapped in the future, worrying about things or back in time regretting past actions, but most of the time dwell in the here and now, which is basically where life happens, there is no other time life can happen.
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

I can relate to some of your experiences having been in therapy for trauma-related depression. Most important for me was the acceptance of myself as being good enough as I am.

Music has always been my emotional safety-zone. Listening , playing, messing about with instruments and HiFi.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Yes, music is always available to take you out of your head and to better places, if only for a short while. It's a great extension of meditation practice for me these days. Acceptance of "what is" both out there and within myself, has been the best teacher for me over the past twelve months or so.

After having built the 2A3 Loftin White amplifier, I was happy for six months or so, but started to get itchy fingers, bought a copy of "Valve Amplifiers" by Morgan Jones and started to learn what the basic building blocks of valve amps were, and how to put together a series of stages of amplification. It was then that I learned that it was not just a question of gain. A couple of the guys on the WAD forums started to say to me that the 12AX7 input driver stage of my beloved Loftin White amp was causing slewing distortion, whatever that was. Yes it had a gain of 70 and could provide more than enough voltage swing to drive a 2A3 valve to full power. BUT there was something called "Miller capacitance" involved with valves.
Basically there is capacitance between all adjacent bits of metal in a valve and the important bit of capacitance is that between the grid and the anode. When an AC signal is applied to the grid of a valve, its grid to anode capacitance becomes multiplied by the gain of the valve plus 1. The incoming AC signal has to be able to charge and discharge this capacitance fast enough to properly reproduce the highest frequency of interest, in the case of audio, 20KHz. In fact it is best to have the clean charge/discharge rate much higher than this if the high frequencies are to be unsullied. It only takes a couple of hundred picofarads before the problems start.

To charge and discharge this capacitance requires work to be done, which requires current. Although the 12AX7 will swing big voltage it will only swing a couple of milliamps of current - insufficient to charge/discarge the Miller capacitance of the power valve fast enough for its effects to stay out of the audio band. The effects of insufficient current drive is known as slewing distortion and basically causes a blurring together of high frequency transients. This is one of the causes of the nice cuddly sound, some valve amps make, that and crappy output transformers.

So armed with this knowledge I was able to set about improving the standard of my 2A3 amp builds, but self build speakers were about to make a re-appearance in my audio world.
Last edited by SteveTheShadow on Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

This takes me back to the time when i was the line manager of someone suffering from depression. He was like two different people and i had to obtain advice from occupational health. In the end he was not able to keep the job, although when functioning was very capable. I feel for anyone with a similar condition.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

CN211276 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:57 pm This takes me back to the time when i was the line manager of someone suffering from depression. He was like two different people and i had to obtain advice from occupational health. In the end he was not able to keep the job, although when functioning was very capable. I feel for anyone with a similar condition.
Aye, it wrecks working lives, and relationships, and living with someone with depression/anxiety takes a special kind of person.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Life is having something worth living for.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Steve, thanks so much for sharing... I can identify with some of it, but this thread is about you and your journey. More please if you can find more tales to tell.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

wiicrackpot
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by wiicrackpot »

SteveTheShadow wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:12 am
CN211276 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:57 pm This takes me back to the time when i was the line manager of someone suffering from depression. He was like two different people and i had to obtain advice from occupational health. In the end he was not able to keep the job, although when functioning was very capable. I feel for anyone with a similar condition.
Aye, it wrecks working lives, and relationships, and living with someone with depression/anxiety takes a special kind of person.
I was gonna shout out for Mrs Shadow in my original post for walking that journey with you but thought i'd keep it brief.

More please, very informative and easy to understand even to a non techie guy, :clap:
Frank...made me do it.

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

So after having learned a bit more about single ended 2A3 amplifiers, there was no stopping me.

Feverish building activity ensued which saw my knowledge increase exponentially and I ended up building a set of 2A3 monoblock amplifiers with seperate power supply and even a valve phono stage which was a copy of the 1950s RCA "Orthophonic" magnetic phonograph preamplifier. http://slideplayer.com/slide/1677061/7/ ... ghted..jpg

The 2A3 monoblocks didn't suffer from slewing distortion of course. 8-)

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Now we had a problem: the 2A3 direct heated power triode, in single ended configuration will only put out 3W and it became apparent very quickly that my 'bought' KEFs were not a good match. The amps I'd built were OK at lowish volumes but at what one could call 'normal' listening levels, they were a dead loss. So I was forced to rekindle my interest in self-build speakers. These needed to be efficient.

Below is a pic of the first single driver speaker I created:

It's a Fostex FE108EZ full range driver, with Planet10 phase plug. The cabinet was a quadratic taper Voigt pipe, venting through a port on the underside. The very low bass was supported by a pair of Ruark active subs; one in each corner. This is the original design that led to "The Metronome" tapered quarter wave resonator speaker developed between myself, Scott Lindgren and Dave Dlugos.

The last "Metronome" I had at home was a five foot tall cabinet with Fostex FF225WK supplemented with a Monacor ribbon supertweeter. This speaker now lives at a fellow enthusiast's home in Chesterfield. He currently runs the speakers with a Transcendent Sound, "Son of Beast" output transformerless valve amp. Loves them to bits.

As with all my speakers, the Metronome is designed to work, backed up to the wall. The cooperative Metronome designs, Scott, David D and I did, are all open source and have proven to be quite successful over the past 13 years they have been in existence.

Around 10 years ago, a guy in the USA started a subsidiary of his Yarborough Designs company to build the FE108EZ design to order. http://rhythmicraft.com/metronome.html He's still going now.