Cock up's

A place for DIY project discussions.
karatestu
Great Britain

Cock up's

Unread post by karatestu »

A thread to get it off your chest. Complete diy balls up's.

Only two or three from me.

1) testing an opamp based regulator i had just built. In my haste i connected the raw psu to the output of the reg. Doh. Completely fooked the opamp and a film cap. New AD797 required.

2) made a diy naim snaic with din sockets (circa 2008). Shorted two pins together. Poof went the special "tested" lm317 in the hicap . What a bugger.

3) more recently i totally wired a transformer up the wrong way on the secondary side. And it still worked ???
DIY FREE ZONE

Stemcor1990
Great Britain

Re: Cock up's

Unread post by Stemcor1990 »

Currently building my first electric guitar. The idea is that you start with a few pieces of wood and some glue. Stick some of the pieces of wood together and then remove the bits of wood you don’t need until you have a guitar. It looks like a telecaster body but it certainly has some dings. Starting the neck soon and I know I’m going to cock it up. Fortunately, my tutor has the patience of a saint...

karatestu
Great Britain

Don't jinx yourself there stem. Says me , i've said it too. Get me a shrubbery.
DIY FREE ZONE

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

Building a push pull 2a3 some years ago i couldnt understand why it kept popping its cathode resistor on one channel. Investigated various things, eventually after pulling my hair out and popping loads of mills 7w resistors i decided to observe it when the power was switched on. It took about 20 seconds to glow cherry red so the power was rapidly switched off. from a safe distance. with a broom handle. noticed a small whisker of wire off some stranded wiring for the heaters causing a short to the earthed metal top plate. As its a dht, the heaters connect directly to the same socket pin as the cathode resistor does.
Removed said tiny whisker of wire, one working amp channel. 20 quids worth of mills wirewounds ruined due to a half arsed soldering job on heater wiring. Luckily the valve itsself didnt go bang
Also blown plenty of op amps up.....
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Your not a real bodger until you have blown things up a few times. As a Saturday boy in the 60's at G W Smiths putting different Gov surplus components across a safe block (unfortunate name for me) to see which made the biggest bang and sparks :mrgreen:

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

To get my one hand back in the game i bought a pair of celestion 15 carcass's . Ive got a pair of scanspeak tweeters and 4 bass drivers. Ive doped the bass drivers and i moved on to cabinets.

I tried and disasteroulys failed to venneer them. I threw the veneer in the bin and im now doing them high gloss.

keepitsimplestupid
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by keepitsimplestupid »

The volume knob that isn't fitted is 80mm wide, covers the IR receiver totally.

karatestu
Great Britain

That's a beauty :lol:
DIY FREE ZONE

keepitsimplestupid
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by keepitsimplestupid »

Luckily the finished back panel is more photogenic

Of course there's still time to mess that up too.

Stemcor1990
Great Britain

Unread post by Stemcor1990 »

Started carving the neck profile today and much to my surprise the back of the neck looks and feels like the back of a guitar neck. Perhaps I should start a thread on unexpected successes. I could call it cock unders :grin: