make your own g88

A place for DIY project discussions.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: make your own g88

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

To finish the theme you need a SUT and a valve MM stage.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:14 pm To finish the theme you need a SUT and a valve MM stage.
I really don't...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Toontrev

Unread post by Toontrev »

Could do, however they are extremely heavy but it would make for an interesting listen. I recall that there is a date stamp inside of the cabinets which makes them circa 1966!
PM me what weekends you have available or better still one day during the Xmas hols.
cheers
Trevor

savvypaul
Great Britain

After a 6 hour vinyl session, today, it struck me that my £5k WTL Versalex / Transfiguration cartridge hasn't had much of a look in since the Lenco arrived.

These idlers really are something special musically - I also loved Andy-831's Garrard 401 when he bought it over to mine.

I can't see how anything can beat the sound per pound value that Vinyl-Ant is giving with his Lenco restorations.

When you realise you can't get to the turntable for LP covers all over the floor then you know you're having a good time!
I am in the hi-fi trade

Chopsaw54
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Chopsaw54 »

savvypaul wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:15 pm
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:14 pm To finish the theme you need a SUT and a valve MM stage.
I really don't...

You do, you do :grin:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Belts are for holding trousers up.

wiicrackpot
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by wiicrackpot »

savvypaul wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:41 pm In my vintage / vintage inspired system...

Thank you to Ant for brilliant work. He is super helpful, knowledgeable and expert. And, thanks to wiicrackpot for letting me buy his AT tonearm. It's a great match for the Lenco and the 103. Must also mention Andy-831 who bought his slate plinth Garrard all the way over to the wilds of West Durham to get me hooked on Idlers!

Proper write up to follow over next few weeks.
Just caught up with this thread, don't know how i missed the above post and was gonna ask for pics,
you're welcome Paul, beautiful match that arm with your 88 and lovely system. 8-)

Happy New Year to everyone. :guiness;
Frank...made me do it.

savvypaul
Great Britain

wiicrackpot wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:18 pm Just caught up with this thread, don't know how i missed the above post and was gonna ask for pics,
you're welcome Paul, beautiful match that arm with your 88 and lovely system. 8-)

Happy New Year to everyone. :guiness;
The AT is very well made and in excellent nick. It's also blissfully easy to adjust.

Seems to be an ideal partner for the 103 (also going to try an SPU at some point).

Thanks again and HNY! :guiness;
I am in the hi-fi trade

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

I've made another one....... Not done yet, same pattern as the original one, not Paul's one, 'the grand lady'. using a 75 this time. And a 3009. In cream rather than white, and walnut veneer so it looks rather 1965. No dropped arm board this time either. I shall call it 'the little lady'

Pics will follow when I remember my password for the piggin Flickr account...
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

here we go, had to dig the old mac out to get into flickr, but i do need it anyway for accounts and stuff. note to self: get another mouse and keyboard and connect it to the telly or something....

ImageGl75 g88 mod by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

bit of wiring needs doing, switch is a minature toggle this time

updated it in the same way i did pauls when it had the big plinth done to include a fully damped chassis plate. The 3009 looks right on it, couldnt decide between it, the acos lustre gst1, the formula 4 or the audiomods classic so i offered them all up. it was either the 3009 or the gst1 in terms of looks, but the 3009 will work better with the sl15. couldnt get the baseplate in the 'correct' orientation unfortunately so i had to do it in the manner they are often used with 401s.

doesnt have the audiosilente idler wheel though.
the arm needs a rewire as one of the ground wires has a break in it somewhere, that can wait until the rest of the deck is complete, as the intention is to stick the ortofon sl15 ell moving coil on it which is not in use right now so theres no rush

onward!
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7