Why a cube?

A place for DIY project discussions.
montechristo358
Has thanked: 0
Great Britain

Why a cube?

Unread post by montechristo358 »

Apologies as I'm damn sure I've read this before but can't for the life of me find the thread discussing it.

Everything I'm reading on enclosures says a perfect cube is the worst possible box shape. Now obviously that's either just wrong or its far more complex than that. Otherwise the Docs cubes wouldn't sound so good to so many.

Anyone remind me why that's the case?
Bedroom Rig
PiCorePlayer Squeezebox clone, Allo Boss Dac, NVA AP10H with Stepped Attenuator upgrade and external PSU, Audioquest Nightowl Cans, NVA mini BMU

Office Rig
PicorepLayer Squezeebox clone with HifiBerry DIGI+, NVA SSP Digital, Arcam AV9. NVA SSC, NVA AP10P, NVA LS5, NVA Cubettes, NVA Mini BMU

Kitchen Rig
PicorepLayer Squezeebox clone with HifiBerry DAC+, NVA SSC, NVA P50, Project AMPBox, Sonance Ceiling Speakers

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: Why a cube?

Unread post by CycleCoach »

Some food for thought.
1) What are you reading, and where are you reading it?
2) Who's says that what you're reading is true?
3) Have you heard a cube?
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

This thread has quite a bit of info...

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=45653
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

montechristo358
Great Britain

CycleCoach wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 11:05 am Some food for thought.
1) What are you reading, and where are you reading it?
2) Who's says that what you're reading is true?
3) Have you heard a cube?
I haven't as yet, but I agree totally, alas the world is full of information, most of it wrong, hence my question :-)
Bedroom Rig
PiCorePlayer Squeezebox clone, Allo Boss Dac, NVA AP10H with Stepped Attenuator upgrade and external PSU, Audioquest Nightowl Cans, NVA mini BMU

Office Rig
PicorepLayer Squezeebox clone with HifiBerry DIGI+, NVA SSP Digital, Arcam AV9. NVA SSC, NVA AP10P, NVA LS5, NVA Cubettes, NVA Mini BMU

Kitchen Rig
PicorepLayer Squezeebox clone with HifiBerry DAC+, NVA SSC, NVA P50, Project AMPBox, Sonance Ceiling Speakers

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Think! the answer is obvious. The drive unit is a cone :think:

There is so much lack of understanding it is farcical, if it was a planar driver there might be some logic to it, even then it is a load of old bollocks from people making presumptions.

It is in fact the opposite because NVA Cubes are acoustic suspension so work at very low frequencies on an air pressure waves not sound wave, it is that that dictates behaviour, and these eeeeediots don't even understand the process, perhaps they should go and read the original patent papers from Ed Villchur.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

:mrgreen: All the theory is very interesting, but for most folk speakers are things you use to listen to music, not spend ages cogitating about. :mrgreen:

In other words: listen and you may understand why (or you may wonder what's the point?)
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

montechristo358
Great Britain

terrybooth wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 6:54 pm :mrgreen: All the theory is very interesting, but for most folk speakers are things you use to listen to music, not spend ages cogitating about. :mrgreen:

In other words: listen and you may understand why (or you may wonder what's the point?)
true but before building boxes its as well to have some idea what you are doing wouldn't you say?
Bedroom Rig

Office Rig

Kitchen Rig

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Yes it is known as music all the rest is bullshit. The experts want to convince you how clever they are - soooo why do they produce such crap most of the time, but a DIY-er like Steve can hit a home run. YET the poor sod still has *experts* trying to advice him - how dare he make something good without them - arses

#1 arse is Scottmoose.