Fane 12-250TC Full Range Speaker

A place for DIY project discussions.
Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Re: Fane 12-250TC Full Range Speaker

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

I quite like pro amps, i have an sta152 that I actually bought off Chris, and a samson servo 260 studio amp.
The sta is powerful enough to scare the bejezzus out of you, but isn't physically that huge. And it sounds alright too.

The samson is about 50w, and is used in studios to drive monitors. Its sounds really nice actually, and is tiny compared to my F5.

The thing with the pro stuff is that its bulletproof, and built for a specific purpose. The sta amp is a do it all amp for a small pa rig to run a little mobile disco type of thing, so is pokey to get volume, and built like a tank to withstand Ham fisted handling.
Does exactly what it says on the tin, isn't subtle, and puts a grin on your face.

The samson is pretty revealing, its a nice amp on voices and gives detail the sta doesnt. Its meant to be run with studio monitors for monitoring playback, and it shows. Plenty of studios use them for that reason.

I dont think there's any reason not to use pro stuff, unless you value the milled aluminium and pretension that comes with alot of new gear

Personally, I don't really care for that any more.
That massive crown amp Chris has is no bigger or heavier than some uber expensive behemoths that can be bought, but is completely unnecessary at home. Unless you have some maggies or something. (christ that thing would give a set of maggies a kick up the arse!)
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

The things you have to do to make an amp bullet proof damages the music. I have built both and the Tresham was far more complicated and needed to be. If they served the same purpose I would have used basically the same circuit, but they don't.

What we talk about here is subtle musical information in the NVA circuit is lost in the Tresham, and for its purpose not needed, and the Tresham was adopted by AudioT West Hampstead (the original shop) as a Naim alternative as basically the Naim is a pro amp circuit. In fact the Tresham would have made a very good competitor to the Naim, NVA was different and musically better, so people didn't understand or were confused by it - now the Naim brainwash is receding into the past the NVA natural approach to music is showing itself to people.

So sorry I cannot agree, they are two different jobs and to get the best out of one job it has to be different to the other.

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

No need to agree, I just like some of them
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:37 pm
.....IMO opinion it is time for less, the only more we need is self control and the time and ability to appreciate how satisfying a small or simple thing can be.
Apart from your amps and their obvious bias toward the KISS philosophy, these Fane 12 and 15 inch triple cone drivers are another case of simple being better. Innovative, single-minded and focussed designers produced these drivers. I like to see this kind of work and it is not nearly evident enough today.

The work these guys put into the getting the transducer itself right, enables builders to put together, with the minimum of effort, excellent loudspeakers that sound great from the get go. You do have to know what you are doing re choosing the size of cabinet and the right ratio of width to depth to height, but there is no serious problem that a competent designer is going to come across with these, because the knowledge you need is of the original, classic variety.
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

some obscenely large speakers. The 15" version

ImageObscenely large sealed boxes...... by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/157695195@N05/]anthony cresswell[/urla.

No finishing work done, its too hot for that

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

12" Fane full range speaker now has grilles, courtesy of Ant.

Retro look is now complete, with the PCL86 valve amp in for the photo. :)

Along with the NVA clone and the valve amp, this simple pair of speakers is giving me the best sound and the most music I've ever had out of a stereo system, period.
God, when I think of the money I've wasted over the years. :roll: BUT at least I recognised that I had been brainwashed and did something about it.

My DIY efforts haven't always been productive but Richard has given a direction and focus for my creativity, so that the outcomes have been better than I could have dreamed.

I've certainly had some fun, and hope there's plenty more to come. :lol:

Shamanic
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Shamanic »

They look very nice Steve. Ant has done a fine job as usual.
Looking forward to mine in the coming months!

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

If I had the time I would do a pair with another 12 incher on the top, cos' I am a semi omni junkie, though these nearly cleared that hurdle for me at Owston.

I presume being a pro company they do a 16 ohm version.

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Shamanic wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:11 pm They look very nice Steve. Ant has done a fine job as usual.
Looking forward to mine in the coming months!
Aye, he's a good lad.
You won't be disappointed with the '15s'

Two more days ;)

montechristo358
Great Britain

Unread post by montechristo358 »

are they happy with zero toe in?
Bedroom Rig
PiCorePlayer Squeezebox clone, Allo Boss Dac, NVA AP10H with Stepped Attenuator upgrade and external PSU, Audioquest Nightowl Cans, NVA mini BMU

Office Rig
PicorepLayer Squezeebox clone with HifiBerry DIGI+, NVA SSP Digital, Arcam AV9. NVA SSC, NVA AP10P, NVA LS5, NVA Cubettes, NVA Mini BMU

Kitchen Rig
PicorepLayer Squezeebox clone with HifiBerry DAC+, NVA SSC, NVA P50, Project AMPBox, Sonance Ceiling Speakers