Fane 12-250TC Full Range Speaker

A place for DIY project discussions.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Fane 12-250TC Full Range Speaker

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I thought the "event" was to show off the Fanes, not an amp bake off - so it had its desired results.

Karnevil9
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Karnevil9 »

Even more puzzling is the second pair of speakers sat on top of the Fanes!

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

Yes it was to show off the Fanes, but it turned into an amp fest too as I think Chris and Dave wanted to hear them with their own amplification. Chris was thinking about the drivers for use as drum monitors or floor wedges and Dave was keen to hear them with his OTL.

The speakers were able to show their mettle with both pro gear and domestic solid state and valve amplifiers. So I think they proved themselves admirably on the day.

The biggest source of amusement for me was that these speakers virtually designed themselves due to my experiences from the mid/late 70s when I was building big sealed boxes using big paper cone drivers.
There was no computer modelling software back then and the then new Thiele Small parameters were the preserve of big companies and not for mere mortals. Listenng to these drivers in these boxes, I'm forced to conclude that the 60s and 70s were the era of the great speaker and everything went rapidly downhill after that.
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Karnevil9 wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 6:00 pm Even more puzzling is the second pair of speakers sat on top of the Fanes!
The second pair is a pair of Chris's near field studio monitors. These were basically used to check the claimed HF extension of the Fanes against a speaker with a high quality horn tweeter. Suffice it to say, the Fanes passed that test OK.

Relatively few hi-fi enthusiasts will ever use them though. Not enough of a bullshit filled hi-tech ceramic back story to them and you have to build your own cabs.
Last edited by SteveTheShadow on Sun May 20, 2018 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Karnevil9

Thats good to hear because that is the area i had great doubt about.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Steve - It is what I have been saying for years, at last some are listening. It applies to all analogue sources as well. The best TT are from then, the best phono stages are simple like amps. The best tape machines were built like brick shite houses in the 1960's. I remember an old EMI built half track used in the dem studio at EMI House, Cambridge Square, motors from washing machines, in fact looked about the same size and shape as an old ADA paddle washer we had when I was kid. It sounded amazing though. I bought it when they closed the studio ('cos of my Bruv in law) and sold it on for a profit.

EDIT - found a link to them http://www.vintagerecorders.co.uk/sales/BTR-2/sale.htm

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

That recorder looks like it was a top bit of kit in its day.

Karnevil9

Nice to see some appreciate that vintage clobber is superb. Apparently im as def as a door post because i favour it, so ive been told over the years..

Used to love my old Celestion 'Ditton 33' loudspeakers, i thought they were the best thing since sliced bread & better to my ears that the over rated models higher up in the range. However the 'Ditton' thing was yet another AOS fad.

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 6:41 pm Steve - It is what I have been saying for years, at last some are listening.
Aye,
Without the benefits of owning a set of perfectly restored, vintage speakers, we can, if we have the motivation to think laterally, use the old technologies to create our own up to date versions of that sound. And when you hear that sound recreated in the present, first of all you sit open mouthed for a few seconds, then you scratch your head and wonder what you've been listening to for the past thirty years; certainly not hi-fi as it can be, that's for sure.

Politics stands firmly in the way of a return to these values, unfortunately and you can never overcome the obstacle that politics represents. All you can do is try and and get the message out by getting people with open minds to use their own ears.

Guerilla hi-fi. :grin:

I have a cracking sound system now and I'm not interested any more in lugging it to events such as Owston. Can do without the hassle. I'd rather go there for the social aspect. I'd rather have people come round to my place to listen and make up their minds in an environment that is more representative of a home environment than a big hall or dem room.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Well as DIY-er in the 60s and early 70's to my own companies I have tried to reflect those values. I fought it through the BBC bollocks first, then the Linn / Naim bollocks through the flat earth, then through the valve revival, then through the home cinema, to now the stupidly over complicated over priced blinged crap we have now that is called hi-fi - sold by slurping crooks.

Throughout that time I have mostly been a lone voice, called mad, stupid, rude, and here I am coming up to my 71st at the end of the month and as a cancer survivor, I wouldn't say going strong, but still trying, and NOW I have people to talk about it with who don't insult me - better late than never.

I have even tried to progress the principles of the early days, not by more, but by less, as now we have ways and components that help us make it simpler and still work, so in my opinion progress and better. The world is now driven and controlled by more - more people - more money - more turnover - more profit - more food - more jobs - more politicians - more cars - more pollution - more more more - to the extent that more is more important than quality or satisfaction.

IMO opinion it is time for less, the only more we need is self control and the time and ability to appreciate how satisfying a small or simple thing can be.