Re: Fane 12-250TC Full Range Speaker

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Tannoy show-er up-er :guiness;

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

OK, a few early observations.
The rising response as seen on the published FR plot, is of no consequence in a real room situation. Angling the speakers to fire straight ahead in combination with half space placement deals with it nicely. (sorry for the theoretical bit there Doc)

In hi-fi terms, colouration is low; in fact remarkably low for a full-range driver, the presentation is nice and smooth overall and bass is quick, agile and even, though ultimate extension is lacking. They might go a bit lower as the suspension breaks in; other full-rangers develop more bottom end as they run in, so I don't expect this one to be any different.

Vocals are very very good, as are saxes, strings, brass, electric guitar and Hammond organ. A relaxing listen, free from wince inducing moments.

But......it's at the top end where these drivers show their fabulousness. How the hell do they get so high and so clean?
Trust me...you don't need a tweeter, no.....you really don't need a tweeter....really ....you don't need a...... :D
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

The Fanes seem to have become accepted in the living room as ginger jar and picture have been placed :lol:

Best get them prettied up with the planned retro makeover this week then, before she changes her mind. ;)

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

But, but, but no semi omni anymore Steve :shhh:
DIY FREE ZONE

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Its for Owston - big hall - semi omni or omni don't work.

Chunk McDaniel
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Chunk McDaniel »

Very nice Steve looking forward to seeing them in Retro clothes are flares just going to far. :lol:

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

They'll be more late '50s/early '60s so it'll be more of a slim-jim, square-end tie and winklepicker thang daddio 8-)

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Four days in and these drivers are breaking in nicely. I suspect they will take a while longer to fully run in, but bass is getting stronger by the day.
What we have here is, in a word "fun." What there is, with these Fanes in the 78L sealed cabinets is an abundance of grin factor the like of which this enthusiast has not experienced in a very long time. This is hi-fi, the way it used to be. Not since being with a schoolmate playing "Roxette" by Dr Feelgood, round at his house, through his Dad's Goodmans Magisters, back in 1975, have I had such a good time with a sound system. The Fanes have such a happily honest way with music, you can't help but be sucked in by the soulful sounds they give out.
When you listen to such joyous musicality, it makes you wonder what the hell has been going on with hi-fi for the past 35 years.
It is interesting that it takes a pro driver maker to put the hi back into the fi in terms of loudspeakers. Fane, most likely couldn't give a toss about audiophile users, it wouldn't have registered on their radar, but they have created something that, in terms of an ability to play music, takes the piss big style, out of your average hi-fi speaker.

The fact that you have to calculate and then build a cabinet for them, and the sheer size of the end product rules them out in most sane people's homes, but the cabs can be made into pieces of furniture, that (horrors) you can put plants on, vases, photos etc. They work next to walls, even (I tried them) in room corners without boom, so WAF can be achieved as it was in the old days; integrating the system with the furnishings, without compromising the sound quality. I think this is an art which has been completely lost and it could do with a revival.

To aid this revival, how about I just post the cab dimensions here. There's nothing special about them, it's only a sealed cab after all. Material is 18mm softwood ply, nice and cheap and remarkably good for speaker cabs, I've found.

Top/bottom - 17" x 13 3/8"

Sides - 12" X 26"

Front/back - 17" x 26"

There is a "holey brace" 14 1/4" on centre from the top of the front back board, connecting all four walls.

That's it.

Driver is available here:
http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id= ... nufacturer

Hole diameter is 28cm, the hole Fane give is too big (guess how I know)

Have a go at building one, you could be in for a pleasant surprise.

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

For the measurement freaks, here is the in-room response, taken at 1m and 30deg off axis:
3rd octave analysis with pink noise.
Not bad for a single driver. :lol:

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Stage one of the retro styling job is done in best Dansette, maroon coloured Rexine:
It's trad Dad.