DIY thoughts of the day

A place for DIY project discussions.
karatestu
Great Britain

Re: DIY thoughts of the day

Unread post by karatestu »

This is a quote i found (not from a forum)

8) Some speaker companies that tell the consumer their speakers use the simplest crossovers possible to preserve phase coherence and that they build better drivers to match each other for optimal integration.
In an ideal world, it may be possible to design a linear phase coherent loudspeaker system with a moderately complex series first order crossover by implementing high quality low Q drivers and crossover elements in slanted transmission line enclosures. However, in reality, many of these companies who claim phase coherence are using poor quality OEM metal cone drivers that have harsh break-up modes. These types of drivers require more than just a first order crossover to eliminate these break-up modes, and do nothing to address the enclosure type and baffle alignment to linearize the system's response.

In addition, it is usually cost prohibitive for many manufacturers to offer a properly designed loudspeaker at a competitive price using this approach. In reality, there are many variables such as cabinet properties, baffle alignment, driver sensitivity, etc, that have a synergistic affect sometimes requiring additional compensation in the crossover design or enclosure design for optimization. There are also inherent trade-offs to designing these type of speakers (i.e. drivers firing at the listening position off-axis, limited vertical dispersion and power handling, etc).

Many loudspeaker manufacturers and experts today consider proper phase coherent speakers to be somewhat of a myth considering the limiting factors of room acoustics, listening position, and quality of the source, and may also choose not to implement these type of designs for commerical considerations or to avoid compromising the design of the product.
DIY FREE ZONE

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

I wish Richard was alive.

Lurcher300b
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

I believe that the reproduction of frequencies well beyond the range of human hearing effect our enjoyment of music and think that the extent to which it occurs varies from individual to individual. I think this goes some way to explaining why many prefer vinyl to CD. The 44 kHv cap is too low.
Its a belief, and so I guess has no requirement of evidence. Not sure where this idea of there being much information from vinyl above 20kHz comes from though.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Lurcher300b wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:10 pm
I believe that the reproduction of frequencies well beyond the range of human hearing effect our enjoyment of music and think that the extent to which it occurs varies from individual to individual. I think this goes some way to explaining why many prefer vinyl to CD. The 44 kHv cap is too low.
Its a belief, and so I guess has no requirement of evidence. Not sure where this idea of there being much information from vinyl above 20kHz comes from though.
I am not aware of any explanation and am also in the dark about amplifiers and speakers being able to reproduce frequencies way outside the range of human hearing. I suppose kit with less getting in the way stands a better chance and this could be a reason why NVA sounds so good.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Lurcher300b
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

I suppose kit with less getting in the way stands a better chance and this could be a reason why NVA sounds so good.
Maybe, Savvy will know for certain, but at least the old reviews of NVA amps indicated that they were slew rate limited at higher frequencies.

karatestu
Great Britain

....everyone runs off to look up what slew rate means................ :lol:
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

Daniel Quinn wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:06 pm I wish Richard was alive.
Me too.
DIY FREE ZONE

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

karatestu wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:14 pm
Me too.
+2.

He was a genius with respect to the reproduction of music via audio equipment and very knowledgeable in many other areas too. Highly respected by me despite us not exactly getting on when I first got to know of NVA.

RIP Richard.

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Alfi wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:32 pm
karatestu wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:14 pm
Me too.
+2.

He was a genius with respect to the reproduction of music via audio equipment and very knowledgeable in many other areas too. Highly respected by me despite us not exactly getting on when I first got to know of NVA.

RIP Richard.

Alfi.
Miss him a lot. My regret is not being aware of him and NVA a lot sooner.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

karatestu
Great Britain

Anyone remember the Naim prefix phono stage ? Oh no you say i was trying to forget that regrettable period of my hifi history. Well don't forget part of its charm and what put it at the top of the Naim phono stage tree until the Superline came along was the fact that it was mounted in the LP12. Very short wires from the cartridge to the phono stage was its biggest plus point.

How about putting a NVA phono board in the record deck. Doesn't have to be an LP12 (thank god) as long as there is room. Enclose the amp board and regulators in a small steel box to keep noise and interference out and have the psu remote.

I am currently thinking about it (not the first tme) and Mr San Miguel is the man who says yes.
DIY FREE ZONE