DIY thoughts of the day

A place for DIY project discussions.
Fretless
Netherlands

Re: DIY thoughts of the day

Unread post by Fretless »

Subwoofer in the sofa could be fun - especially with double kick-drums or reggae (feel da bass, maaan !)

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Fretless wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:16 am Subwoofer in the sofa could be fun - especially with double kick-drums or reggae (feel da bass, maaan !)
Ha ha good one. Used to know a drummer who had a monitor built into his throne. Could definitely feel the bass :lol:
DIY FREE ZONE

OrangeFixie
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by OrangeFixie »

Re. selector switch musings. I ended up removing the selector switches from both of my NVA amps, a process of elimination of components and sources. When I still used a tuner and CD player, I fitted an on-on toggle switch as a selector. It allowed me to switch between 2 inputs, was cheap and sounded so much better than the rotary selector switch did. Rated as 250VAC 10A, or 125VAC 15A. Bought it from Maplins, looks a bit industrial but that's fine by me.

Nigel
Wales

Unread post by Nigel »

I find it hard to believe it "sounded so much better." I have amps with only one input and if I put my Beresford selector switch in front of them, to allow more inputs, you would be hard pressed to hear any difference at all.
Technics SL1210 (Timestep power supply, Mike New Bearing) Audio Origami RB300 / Dynavector DV10x5
Pioneer DVD300 / Topping E30 or AAAA5 cd player.
Audio Innovations Series 500
Heco Direkt Einklang
Headphones - Musical Fidelity A1 / AKG K1000

karatestu
Great Britain

It does sound better with no selector switch in the chain. No switch contacts and two fewer solder joints. How much better is open to debate.

I have no source sele tor or volume control at the moment until i get my arse in gear. Just a potential divider with one 10k resistor in series and 604R to ground in each channel. The music is so good i am putting off building the stepped attenuators for as long as i can :grin:
DIY FREE ZONE

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

NVA preamps have a 'direct' input that bypasses the selector switch for maximum SQ.

I have a couple of old Japanese amps in use and hook up a single source to the 'tape out /rec.' sockets. This also cancels out selector switches and tone controls.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

OrangeFixie
EUROPEAN_UNION

Hi Nigel, "it sounded so much better" was in the context of changing one switch for another, so a simple and cheap experiment. It did result in music sounding clearer and better channel separation (maybe that's why it sounded clearer?). Very hard to quantify, I thought it might make a positive difference, I thought it did, no one else here was remotely interested! Only got a single input now, slowly experimenting with eliminating as much as possible. Who was it who once said "the best component is no component?" LED power on indicator is the next thing to try without...

Nigel
Wales

Unread post by Nigel »

Thank you for quantifying. I don't dispute it sounded better.
Technics SL1210 (Timestep power supply, Mike New Bearing) Audio Origami RB300 / Dynavector DV10x5
Pioneer DVD300 / Topping E30 or AAAA5 cd player.
Audio Innovations Series 500
Heco Direkt Einklang
Headphones - Musical Fidelity A1 / AKG K1000

karatestu
Great Britain

OrangeFixie wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:27 pm Hi Nigel, "it sounded so much better" was in the context of changing one switch for another, so a simple and cheap experiment. It did result in music sounding clearer and better channel separation (maybe that's why it sounded clearer?). Very hard to quantify, I thought it might make a positive difference, I thought it did, no one else here was remotely interested! Only got a single input now, slowly experimenting with eliminating as much as possible. Who was it who once said "the best component is no component?" LED power on indicator is the next thing to try without...
Yeah get rid of the LED.

Oh and the case, that can go too :grin: Along with the mains switch and IEC socket. Oh and don't forget all the fuses they can be binned as well.
DIY FREE ZONE

OrangeFixie
EUROPEAN_UNION

Long term plan is to experiment with separate power supplies for each channel but I need to do some research into how to go about it and where to get parts from before I commit to that...so that's adding more components!