Building a DIY amp with NVA amplifier boards

A place for DIY project discussions.
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
User avatar
karatestu
Posts: 1291
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:40 pm
Location: North Yorkshire
Great Britain

Re: Building a DIY amp with NVA amplifier boards

Unread post by karatestu » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:16 pm

NVA products are excellent and when you have heard them you just know they do everything right. Music has never sounded as much like real music than how it does now. Everything is there - detail, tone, timbre, soundstage, imaging but above all this MUSIC. Not tiring in any way even though it is very detailed. I want to hear as much of what is on the recording as I can and with nva I can. Old albums that I never used to play so much are being played all the time and now they make sense. Musicians that I thought were mediocre are revealed as been quite a bit better than what I thought. Same with certain bands that were not favoured before. I have developed a bit of a liking for certain 80's music that I never bothered with before, especially ones involving synthesisers.

You carry on what you are doing doc :dance: , the word is spreading about how good your products and ideas are. I for one am glad I found you and I am sure there are many many more.

Stu
Naim, Linn & Harbeth fanboy

User avatar
CN211276
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:29 am
Location: Cardiff
Wales

Re: Building a DIY amp with NVA amplifier boards

Unread post by CN211276 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:23 pm

karatestu wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:16 pm
NVA products are excellent and when you have heard them you just know they do everything right. Music has never sounded as much like real music than how it does now. Everything is there - detail, tone, timbre, soundstage, imaging but above all this MUSIC. Not tiring in any way even though it is very detailed. I want to hear as much of what is on the recording as I can and with nva I can. Old albums that I never used to play so much are being played all the time and now they make sense. Musicians that I thought were mediocre are revealed as been quite a bit better than what I thought. Same with certain bands that were not favoured before. I have developed a bit of a liking for certain 80's music that I never bothered with before, especially ones involving synthesisers.

You carry on what you are doing doc :dance: , the word is spreading about how good your products and ideas are. I for one am glad I found you and I am sure there are many many more.

Stu
I echo the sentiments. Playing more music than ever before and hearing things on old favourites I had not heard before, at the moment "The Idiot" by Iggy Pop.
I set a course just east of Lyra
And northwest of Pegasus
Flew into the light of Deneb
Sailed across the Milky Way

NVA BMU, Sonore microRendu/McRU PS, AQ J-bug, Wirewold Ultraviolet, Chord Qutest, NVA P90SA, NVA A80sMk2, NVA Cube 3s, NVA TSCS, NVA TIS mk2. Rega Planar 3, Denon DL-110, NVA Phono 1, NVA SSP Mk2, Grado SR 325e, headphones, Chord Mojo.

Second system
Arcam Miniblink Bluetooth DAC, Marantz pm 5004, Wharfdale Diamond 121, NVA LS2.

Out and about
Oppo PM3, Audioquest Dragonfly Red.

User avatar
karatestu
Posts: 1291
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:40 pm
Location: North Yorkshire
Great Britain

Re: Building a DIY amp with NVA amplifier boards

Unread post by karatestu » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:00 am

This may be complete :Bllocks: but i learnt from others designing pcb's on the internet that electrons dont like going around sharp corners. They tried to design pcb tracks with nice gentle corners in order to be be nice to the electrons.

To that end i try to make my wiring to have gentle corners if possible. What do you think Doc. Is it all a load of old :Bllocks: ?
Naim, Linn & Harbeth fanboy

User avatar
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Posts: 29243
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:26 pm
Location: Muppet Labs
Great Britain

Re: Building a DIY amp with NVA amplifier boards

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:14 am

I said that more than 25 years ago. I was trying to find a reason for the computer layed PCBs not being as good as the old original hand laid out boards using Letraset. In the end I found other things were causing the difference.
Image

User avatar
karatestu
Posts: 1291
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:40 pm
Location: North Yorkshire
Great Britain

Re: Building a DIY amp with NVA amplifier boards

Unread post by karatestu » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:05 pm

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:14 am
I said that more than 25 years ago. I was trying to find a reason for the computer layed PCBs not being as good as the old original hand laid out boards using Letraset. In the end I found other things were causing the difference.
Furry muff. It would be nice to get rid of circuit boards altogether but I would not relish the prospect of building a power amp point to point with say tinned copper wire. You could make it 3D though with P2P :shock: Power supply is easy to build without pcb's. I will be doing so at some point and sell my Avondale rectifier & capacitor boards.

I am listening to Nick Drake whilst eating my lunch and loving every minute of it. So natural. I find I am listening to the music more now and playing disc after disc.

One thing that strikes me is that using different amplifiers when bi-amping just does not work so well. The level between bass and the rest is wrong - bass should be a bit louder. The differing gain of the two amps is to blame here. I think I need some more power amp boards to go to a 4 pack or 6 pack :grin:
Naim, Linn & Harbeth fanboy

Lurcher300b
Posts: 626
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:58 pm
Great Britain

Re: Building a DIY amp with NVA amplifier boards

Unread post by Lurcher300b » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:29 pm

One thing that strikes me is that using different amplifiers when bi-amping just does not work so well. The level between bass and the rest is wrong - bass should be a bit louder. The differing gain of the two amps is to blame here. I think I need some more power amp boards to go to a 4 pack or 6 pack
Or an extra vol control in front of the louder amplifier.

Lurcher300b
Posts: 626
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:58 pm
Great Britain

Re: Building a DIY amp with NVA amplifier boards

Unread post by Lurcher300b » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:38 pm

but I would not relish the prospect of building a power amp point to point with say tinned copper wire
Image

User avatar
karatestu
Posts: 1291
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:40 pm
Location: North Yorkshire
Great Britain

Re: Building a DIY amp with NVA amplifier boards

Unread post by karatestu » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:48 pm

Lurcher300b wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:29 pm
One thing that strikes me is that using different amplifiers when bi-amping just does not work so well. The level between bass and the rest is wrong - bass should be a bit louder. The differing gain of the two amps is to blame here. I think I need some more power amp boards to go to a 4 pack or 6 pack
Or an extra vol control in front of the louder amplifier.
Never thought about that, thanks Nick. Instead of L & R volume I could do bass & mid+tweeter. That would puzzle my wife especially if I went to a six pack - 3 volume controls :shock:

Thing is I love the nva amp boards so much that I want more for the bass :dance: Avondale's will be relegated to another system or sold :(
Naim, Linn & Harbeth fanboy

User avatar
karatestu
Posts: 1291
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:40 pm
Location: North Yorkshire
Great Britain

Re: Building a DIY amp with NVA amplifier boards

Unread post by karatestu » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:51 pm

Lurcher300b wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:38 pm
but I would not relish the prospect of building a power amp point to point with say tinned copper wire
Image
That's just insane :lol: Respect to you sir :clap: Looks a bit like something I would build. There must be a lot of connections to the copper plate ?

Stu
Naim, Linn & Harbeth fanboy

Daniel Quinn
Posts: 7205
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:16 am
Nicaragua

Re: Building a DIY amp with NVA amplifier boards

Unread post by Daniel Quinn » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:13 pm

I can only admire what I think is a power amp.
Even a stroke didn't result in me liking AOS

Post Reply