Some more progress with pictures.
I have bolted the boards down very loosely whilst waiting for thermal pads, stainless bolts, nuts and washers to arrive. Fitted speaker outlets to back panel. I have cut and bent all the wires so they go where they need to. Some still need to be soldered.
The Avondale cap banks which I will be using initially have been turned up side down so the DC wiring does not have to cross. They use spade connectors
but I will have to put up with that for the time being. I put some rubber feet like the ones in the foreground under the heat sink to give better air flow around it.
Rather than go around the board with the 0V wire I decided to go over the top so that it was not near the DC wires. It is one continuous wire length from cap bank to phono connector. I have tried to keep distance between all wires to prevent crosstalk and capacitive coupling.
Speaker return goes back to the "dirty" end of the cap bank where the transformer centre tap is also connected. This is how Les W at Avondale always does it with his amps and so not knowing any different I have done the same. It is a long way from the back panel to the dirty end of the cap bank and I did it with 2mm tinned wire. The wire is very stiff and does not sag. It is a couple of centimetres above the aluminium heat sink but I may put a plastic support in at either end and half way along it.
This is not exactly how I want it but good enough to get started with and leave room for extra transformers, rectifiers and caps for splitting the amp board power supply. Lots of things to play with once I get them going (pray to the magic smoke god to be kind to me
) Going to test the power supply shortly after removing the wiring to the amp boards. Some time this week I should be able to insert the thermal pads and stainless steel fixings and solder up the last few joints. Then it is time to get the variac out