Building a DIY amp with NVA amplifier boards

A place for DIY project discussions.
eagwok33
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Building a DIY amp with NVA amplifier boards

Unread post by eagwok33 »

karatestu wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:58 pm Been a bit busy. Have a look now :dance: :dance: :dance:

Added another psu for the front end. EI transformers and some more Avondale cap banks. All wired in with the tinned 2mm solid copper wire. I knew the psu was good to go as it was in use a couple of weeks ago. The relevant wire link was cut and the ends bent apart to separate front & back ends.

Turned it on with the variac again. Nothing blew up, no magic smoke :guiness; Just checked DC offset and I think this is good to plumb in to the system. :grin:

More later when I am playing music..............
Now that is an impressive build! :epopc:
Awesome Stu! Congratulations! :clap: What a power supply, this will be a big and heavy amp once it sits in a case! :guiness;

Thanks for sharing your DIY NVA-based project with us. It is fantastic that Richard let you explore this! 8-)

Reminds me a bit on my First Watt M2 clone build (one 300 Va R-core transformer per channel, plus ps with 2x 60000 uf per channel). :-) I was a happy man, when I had finished it and it played music without any smoke! :lol:

Your ps is definitely stunning. And apparently, it pays off from a musical perspective! :) :dance:
Norbert

Tubes and Vinyl rule, Music rocks! :icon-wink:

eagwok33

By the way, my A20x arrived and it is warming up with music :-) (it is tiny in comparison to your build, though...) ;-)
Norbert

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Thanks Norbert.

I have had (and still having) a lot of fun with this. Yes it will (is) be heavy but it is going in a large wooden structure with the rest of my gear. Like a sideboard but deeper - not sure of the exact dimensions yet. I need to get everything sorted first so that I know exactly what I am doing and how much room I need.

This build really isn't that great to look at it will all be going in an attractive housing at some point. Only I know what it will look like inside :grin:

That amp you built with 300VA R core and all that capacitance must have weighed a ton. I considered buying some R cores once but the only ones I could get were in France and I wasn't sure about the whole thing. They were manufactured in India. I believe they a cross between a toroid and an EI transformer.

Listening to some weather report now, can't stop playing CD's :guiness;
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:12 pm You have basically made the same change as A70 to A80.
To infinity and beyond !!!!! Loving them so far. Nothing to run in so what I am getting now is how it will be - until the next tweak :grin:
DIY FREE ZONE

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

What all this proves, rather nicely, is never believe what you have is all you can get, as they say in just about all cases "you ain't seen nuffin yet".

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

My effort is a veritable pipsqueak in comparison to this lot :lol:
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

But it is perfect for your system.

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

You're not wrong there Richard. There's a lot to be said for efficient speakers.
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

karatestu
Great Britain

Measured the mains here today at 253V :shock: The highest I have ever seen it. It usually sits at about 243 - 245V. Gave me a bit of a surprise when I measured the dc voltages from the caps and thought that is a bit high. Checked the mains and bloody hell.
DIY FREE ZONE

eagwok33

karatestu wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:39 pm Thanks Norbert.

That amp you built with 300VA R core and all that capacitance must have weighed a ton. I considered buying some R cores once but the only ones I could get were in France and I wasn't sure about the whole thing. They were manufactured in India. I believe they a cross between a toroid and an EI transformer.

Listening to some weather report now, can't stop playing CD's :guiness;
Just 21kg has my M2 clone. :-) power supply is a bit "oversized" - but not as "oversized" as yours... :lol: 8-) You are right the 300VA transformers were made in India for Selectronic in France. Unfortunately, Selectronic closed business some time ago...
The transformers in my M2 clone do a great job, very quiet...

Have fun with your music and further tweaking...
Norbert