Building a DIY amp with NVA amplifier boards

A place for DIY project discussions.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Building a DIY amp with NVA amplifier boards

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Too late, thanks for the machining, if you have a lathe then I presume you know how to use, it would have been rude to refuse. It is rude to ask here about Chinese copy boards, you are obviously one of the *characters* from Audio Talk (ref your comment to Nick) as you came here with an attitude, even your offer of the lathe help felt odd (read posts). So my advice if you wish to stay here is forget the wind ups and leave me alone, plenty to talk about.

You see you are doing it again there is obviously an agenda "I have heard an A20 on two occasions, and I must admit it was good, but not superb. Just my opinion of course." IT IS A FECKIN' STARTER AMP WHO SAID IT WAS SUPERB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do you see what I mean, small praise agenda driven, it is a £200 amp, find me anything comparable, you seem to have lost the point of it, why the feck do you think I do bigger more expensive amps, just for the fun or slurp.

Now you see what I mean, so leave me and NVA alone, you obviously don't want us and now definitely we do not want you.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

I have tonight put my best transformers on the output stages. Listening to Bob Marley right now :dance: :dance: Custom made by Canterbury windings for my Avondale amps. 340VA 35-0-35 with an over sized core, electrostatic screen and gauss band.

I have left the electrostatic screen floating as the mains lead has only live and neutral :roll: . Might be interesting to see if there is any improvement when connected to safety earth. Then again it might be worse as the Doc leaves screens unconnected so they act as a faraday cage. Something else to compare :roll:

Listening to Bob Marley Legends I must say I can hear the difference straight away. These nva style amps are on mid & high frequency duties and the diy Avondale voyager with front end regulators are on isobaric bass duties. The Avondale's already have two of these Canterbury windings transformers on their output stages.

Everything has tightened up and there are more dynamics. The bass has improved too as the mids are covering bass too as well as the isobaric 12 inchers. I am hearing improved textures in the bass and kick drum especially on the live track "No woman no cry". Currently playing my favourite track - "stir it up". Well these bigger (and better) transformers are certainly stirring things up I can tell you. The keyboard solo is making the hairs on my neck stand right up. The bass line is so simple but oh so hypnotic. Combined with the guitar part I am transfixed.

My thoughts now move to what would happen if i put even bigger VA transformers on these amps ....................................................... :twisted:
DIY FREE ZONE

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

NO MORE VOLTS !!!!!

I have run the boards on 40v and with pcb mods on 45v, but it was just for me and experiments, stick to 35v max and keep some wiggle room. I decided for domestic use that is the max that is needed..

karatestu
Great Britain

I meant bigger VA Doc as in physically larger. Don't worry, I knew not to go higher with the voltage.

Listening to "I shot the Sheriff" I am in awe at the way the drummer and bass player interact. The end of the track with only drums and bass has just blown my mind with the now huuuuuuuuuuuuuge "body" of the instruments. Did not know what word to describe it - presence combined with texture and weight.

It is against the grain how reggae drummers play the kick drum on 3 when most rock, pop, jazz drummers would usually play it one. But that is one of the attractions of the music for me.
DIY FREE ZONE

Chunk McDaniel

Unread post by Chunk McDaniel »

Nice one Stu with your description I am almost with you man. A large rum is required.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I was going, our band of reprobates had tickets to the concert at The Lyceum where "no woman" was recorded, but that afternoon our group buy turned up, a very nice bag of Acapulco Gold turned up to take with us, well we had to try it, so we got so stoned we didn't go - I have seriously regretted it ever since having never seen him live.

Ho hum the yooof of those days, disgraceful behaviour :mrgreen:

Lurcher300b

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:29 pm I was going, our band of reprobates had tickets to the concert at The Lyceum where "no woman" was recorded, but that afternoon our group buy turned up, a very nice bag of Acapulco Gold turned up to take with us, well we had to try it, so we got so stoned we didn't go - I have seriously regretted it ever since having never seen him live.

Ho hum the yooof of those days, disgraceful behaviour :mrgreen:

I saw him one at the Crystal Palace Garden Festival in 1980, I was in an "interesting" frame of mind by the end.

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/crystal% ... -1980.html

karatestu
Great Britain

All this talk of going to see Bob Marley is making me jealous :mrgreen: Hope you enjoyed that rum Chunk :guiness; :guiness;

A pic of the big toroids on output stage duties

They replaced the 200VA ones in the background. BMU is buzzing like a bastard this morning - the loudest I have ever heard it :roll:

I started a thread on TAS about my diy adventures on HFS. HERE. It has not really got going yet but I will add bits when I get time.
DIY FREE ZONE

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Me thinks time for another set to get the whole speaker driven by NVA.

karatestu
Great Britain

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:06 am Me thinks time for another set to get the whole speaker driven by NVA.
Oh yes indeed :dance: . Two sets please as I am going to put a 6 pack on them :grin: Payment will follow later today.
DIY FREE ZONE