A question for you techies...

A place for DIY project discussions.
zebbo
Great Britain

A question for you techies...

Unread post by zebbo »

Quick question please:
If I was to run two separate mains regenerators and combined the output of both into one socket would that give twice the Watts output?
Can't imagine that it's that simple. :lol:
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Re: A question for you techies...

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

You would effectively be paralleling the outputs so you could have phase problems because you wouldn't be able to guarantee that the outputs of the two were exactly in phase. With normal generators this out of phase causes one generator to drive the other until their speeds match, this called "crash paralleling" and can be damaging to generators and drives (depending on how far out of phase they are at the point of paralleling them). When it is desired to parallel mechanical generators a means of manually, or automatically, adjusting the speed of one generator to exactly match the other is provided and a light between the same phases of each generator gives an indication of the error.

With a solid state mains regenerator such phase correction isn't possible because paralleling isn't the norm. I would imagine that considerable damage is possible. I don't know enough about regenerators to be able to state with any certainty that there is, or is not, a phase shift between input and output or how closely such shift is, or may, be regulated.

You could contact the manufacturer and ask if it is possible but I suspect they will simply tell you to buy a larger model.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Thanks for that Geoff. The one I have is the largest that they do at 1500w which is why I thought about doubling them up. I can buy a bigger one but it will be much more expensive. I guess I really need to find out just how much power all my kit needs when it's running at a reasonable output. Is there an in-line device that I could use to find out? I'm just a little concerned that I might be starving my kit of oomph when it's wound up a bit. I also have the two BBPSU's plugged in.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Lupus-Dei
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Lupus-Dei »

Perhaps use the loan scheme to run your pre and power on a separate BMU and your sources on your incumbant 1500/BMU combo.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

zebbo wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:10 pm Thanks for that Geoff. The one I have is the largest that they do at 1500w which is why I thought about doubling them up. I can buy a bigger one but it will be much more expensive. I guess I really need to find out just how much power all my kit needs when it's running at a reasonable output. Is there an in-line device that I could use to find out? I'm just a little concerned that I might be starving my kit of oomph when it's wound up a bit. I also have the two BBPSU's plugged in.
I don't know what, if any effect there would be to running two regenerators and feeding half the load from one and half from the other. Say source components from one and power amps on the other.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

I could do that but then half of my equipment wouldn't run via the BMU.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

zebbo wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:07 pm I could do that but then half of my equipment wouldn't run via the BMU.
Time for another BMU as well then!

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

You're not helping! :lol: :lol:

Lupus-Dei
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Lupus-Dei »

I refer the Honorable Gentleman to an answer I gave earlier to this house.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

I can't remember the rating of the BMU but assuming 3KVA then I can see why you would want to have a 3KVA regenerator.
Your options are:
New 3KVA regenerator to feed 1 BMU
2 x 1.5KVA regenerators feeding 2 x BMU

If you are running from a ring main the latter would probably be best depending on whether you run both off the same outlet. If you have a dedicated radial go with the 3KVA regenerator.