Pioneer PL-71 refurbishment (Stu Version)

A place for DIY project discussions.
karatestu
Great Britain

Re: Pioneer PL-71 refurbishment (Stu Version)

Unread post by karatestu »

Images not shwing on my tablet either .

Will have a look what went wrong tomorrow. They are visible on the laptop i did it all on. Very strange
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

karatestu wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:11 pm New thread as this deck has recently been passed on to me form Quarknosis - thanks !

Original thread is here https://hifisubjectivist.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=48384 This thread is a continuation of that thread.

Here is a pic or two of the TT as picked up from Quarknosis

Quite a looker I think you will agree. Very 1970's and I love it. Looks much nicer than the fruitbox I am looking at now :grin:

Paul has done a lovely job of getting rid of the stains of the wood and generally cleaning things up.

Pic of the lovely arm with original headshell

The dust cover does have a few scratches on it - not sure yet what can be done about that.

Pic with the platter mat removed.....Quark replaced the lid hinges, so thanks for that Paul.

Pic with the platter removed - sharp tug needed to get it off the spindle

Pic of underside of platter

More to come. Please excuse my basic camera skills :epopc:
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

Can people see these now who couldn't before ? :pray:

Did the pic links again.
DIY FREE ZONE

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

I've been lucky enough to have seen them from your first post Stu - odd that some members can't or couldn't. :?:

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

George Hincapie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by George Hincapie »

No mate, image links aren't working on my android mobile.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Those with problems please report them to Terry.

karatestu
Great Britain

The images in the first post will not show for anyone now because I deleted the first links and did them all again. They should show on this page though.

If they are not showing for some then I really don't know what has gone wrong.
DIY FREE ZONE

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

I can see the photos on my android phone, and my laptop at home, but not on my PC at work...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

karatestu
Great Britain

Time to resurrect this thread as it is Easter. I must apologise for not doing anything with this deck but I have been busy with other stuff :shifty: Wife is on a work training day so I am home alone with the kids. With so many projects on the go and none of them finished, why start another ? Well why not, I must revel in chaos :grin:

Removed the base board and surround which has the feet on it . It's nice and clean in there. Plywood throughout.

This board just distributes AC to various parts. I don't need to do anything to it. The mains lead terminates here. Scope for a £125 fuse here and possibly a very expensive mains lead from Coherent or MCRUS ?

Here is the EI power transformer. It is very small, cute and perfectly formed. Nicely shielded and uses rubber mounts. I have plans to offboard this to get as much emi away from the business end as possible.

This board has the rectifier diodes, psu caps and crude regulator on it. I may have some plans here :shifty: I will replace this board with two - offloaded schottky rectifier and bigger psu caps next to the offloaded transformer. The regulator part needs to stay local to the motor. I just happen to have a few ALWSR (super regulator based on the Jung / Didden circuit) which will be ideal here. A certain audio EE who makes the best phono stages available :liar: advised me it would make bugger all difference. Now this individual can be ignored on certain things and this is one of them :grin:

Here is the motor drive circuitry exposed. A few electro caps need replacing here with modern low impedance equivalents. A bit fiddly but they will fail one day, might as well replace everything that could need doing in one go

I am currently trying to find suitable replacements that will fit for the two micro switches that switch between 33 and 45 rpm. Maplin used to do suitable ones but they went tits up :roll: The two pots are 1K ohm parts but again I need to find parts physically the same. Maybe something made by Bourns???.

I need the tonearm bearings sorting and the arm rewired. Ant has agreed to do that for me at some point.
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post (total 5):
savvypaul (Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:14 am) • CycleCoach (Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:28 am) • Lindsayt (Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:49 am) • SteveTheShadow (Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:02 am) • CN211276 (Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:04 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Apart from the 33 and 45 rpm micro switches, does this turntable have any other micro switches? And if so what do they do?