Has thanked: 0

Re: Doped drivers, why?

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Then don't quote idiots to me.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Don't worry I read it, all you need to see is the flack from the eediots there to see why I react. I will NOT get involved with it here, do as they say or do as we say I seriously couldn't give a toss, but do not quote them at me as I have had this shit for 40 years about what I know and the way idiots react to it.

If you had read and understood the conversations at Audio Talk you would have had no need to ask that question. There is no compromise as you should have seen, they (some the ones that make the trouble) are entrenched idiots with closed minds, you make a choice as to who you wish to believe or you follow the EMPIRIC process and decide for yourself as all other Doc Modders have.

Jonty2547
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Jonty2547 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: they (some the ones that make the trouble) are entrenched idiots with closed minds, you make a choice as to who you wish to believe
I'm here because of the overhyped bullshit, people shooting you down and Marco the Hutt banning me for questioning his decision for no mention of NVA.
All i'm trying to do is learn, no more no less.
Anyhow, i have some drivers that need running in :guiness;
TT- Thorens TD160B MKII with SME 3009, SL1210 and PL-71. Amps-NVA P50sa/A40's & Phono 1. CDP- Sony X555ES. Speakers-B&W 705 with LS1.
Headphone system Bushmaster II, Capella amp, Pi 3B+ with Hifiberry Digi+ Pro & Nighthawk cans.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Learn with your ears.

Simon Hickie

Unread post by Simon Hickie »

I've used a photography analogy before and here's another couple. Some lenses 'measure' extraordinarily well but for whatever reason might render images in a less pleasing way than perhaps an older or 'technically inferior' one. I now buy lenses based on how they render an image with real life subjects not how they measure in MTF tests or shooting USAF test charts. I buy lenses to photograph people, places and things, not test charts. On the issue of lens filters, the less glass you put in front of your lens and the higher quality the glass and coatings the better. Filters degrade the image unless they are extraordinarily good and even then light transmission is affected even if only fractionally. The only filters I use are for protection - somewhat analagous to the simple cap and resistor approach to tweeter protection. You cannot make a poor lens better by sticking loads of filters on it or compensating for the poor results somehow by fiddling around in Photoshop for an eternity. However, lens manufacturers make money from the mass market by concentrating on style and marketing and perceived (but not actual) functionality over and above image and build quality.

If something can be configured simply to produce a superior result (like a prime lens with just a few elements or a speaker with just a capacitor and resistor in addition to the drivers) it seems daft not to - unless of course commercial considerations involve selling something for as high a price as possible for minimal materials costs.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Or as an ego game as with Moose, "look how clever I am, I can confuse every one with technical bullshit".

antonio66
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by antonio66 »

Well I have to agree with Jonty on this one Doc, for me the question was " and he asked me to what advantage, and tbh i couldn't really explain.
Is it to tune the driver so no overly complicated crossover is needed?" I don't think Jonty was questioning the advantages of the Doc mods and Simon appears to have answered the question. Ok, one can look back at the archives but it can take forever. :grin:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

It takes *more* for ever rewriting things over and over again every few weeks or months.

Ithilstone
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by Ithilstone »

Doc i am happy to make/write/compile a doc mode knowledge compendium, actually i was about to ask if you think that would help as I researched this topic in last couple of days i notice that same info is repeated time after time.

it would help me understand it better and it would be easier to have it all collected in one place in one post or pdf
Nothing to see here...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Yes please.