Speaker repair help!

A place for DIY project discussions.
Jonty2547
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Speaker repair help!

Unread post by Jonty2547 »

I picked up a pair of B&O Beovox S45-2 speakers today for the eye watering sum of £10.
They’re a little bit scratched but otherwise look decent enough and should clean up fairly well. The one that does work sounds to my ears pretty damn good.
The reason they’re so cheap was the bass driver in one isn’t working (although it does when the source is added direct the the speaker) so i guess the fault lays within the cross over?
Is it just a case of replacing the caps?
I have zero knowledge whatsoever of speaker repair in any shape or form, so as the thread title says…
Help!

Pics of speakers and the Doc baiting crossover..

TT- Thorens TD160B MKII with SME 3009, SL1210 and PL-71. Amps-NVA P50sa/A40's & Phono 1. CDP- Sony X555ES. Speakers-B&W 705 with LS1.
Headphone system Bushmaster II, Capella amp, Pi 3B+ with Hifiberry Digi+ Pro & Nighthawk cans.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: Speaker repair help!

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

'Beopeople' are quite ok with replacing caps and so on, but I don't remember this speaker as ever being anything special as B&O were on the 'phase compensation' trip at the time and some of their three ways had the mid driver doing all manner of terrible things to 'fix' a problem that doesn't really exist once you get a few feet from the speaker, or move up and down from them... The caps B&O used aren't the best and it's usual to replace them, judging by the B&O forums I occasionally visit.

If the bass drivers end up working, I'd say this is one to try some Doc-mods on. Don't knock me, but a 30uF cap on the mid and a1 or 2uF on the tweeter, plus dope on the bass driver may be the start of something very interesting and modern amps should cope with any odd loading.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

1 remove wadding
2 throw away the crossover
3 steel line the cabinet
4 dope bass and mid drivers or replace with Doc Mod doped drivers.
5 bass and mid driver wired in series direct to input sockets
6 Tweeter with 3.3mfd cap and 12 ohm resistor

Enjoy.

Jonty2547

Upon closer inspection the non functioning driver is seized which looking at the B&O forums is extremely common.
So, I may as well go "Doc mod" rather than trying to source another driver and run the risk of it happening again.

Couple of questions for Doc..

How much for a pair of 20cm drivers? The mids are already doped so i'd like to keep these for now.
Can aluminium sheet be used to line the cabs as i have an endless supply of it.
TT- Thorens TD160B MKII with SME 3009, SL1210 and PL-71. Amps-NVA P50sa/A40's & Phono 1. CDP- Sony X555ES. Speakers-B&W 705 with LS1.
Headphone system Bushmaster II, Capella amp, Pi 3B+ with Hifiberry Digi+ Pro & Nighthawk cans.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

That is the standard 8inch listed in DIY Doc Mods Drivers.

I prefer steel as it adds more mass but ally is fine.

Jonty2547

If they don't fit it could be an issue as the baffles are plastic.
Does it look as if they'd fit..

If so, can you let me know how to order and i'll send the £'s across.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Perfect!

Jonty2547

Good stuff, so how do i order them?

Quite keen to get this project off the ground as i spent ages sanding down and repairing the rosewood veneer and applying wax today.
Repaired one vs how i got them..

Yes, they're a bit 80's and kitsch, but i like em :guiness;

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

You see the price in the DIY Doc Mods thread, you send the money by paypal gift to nvahifi@gmail.com with £10 p&p on top. And I send them. I have a doped pair waiting here for a job that I doped weeks ago. I am doing them in batches now, it is easier and more consistent.

Just looked it up £130 total.

Jonty2547

Thanks, money sent :guiness;

Why wire the bass and mid in series? Easier on the amps?