Stager Silver Solids reworked

A place for DIY project discussions.
TheMadMick
ST_PATRICK'S_SALTIRE

Re: Stager Silver Solids reworked

Unread post by TheMadMick »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:The transformer in the BMU needs to run in, give it a week to come on song musically.

I still think you need to move your speakers. . . . .
Doc

Thanks for that.

The front of my speakers are 1.2 meters from the back wall (about a quarter of the way out into the room - it's quite a big room). It's that way to excite the room bass modes. Any suggestions about how far to move them. Fortunately your rather generous cable lengths mean I have quite a bit of leeway :grin:
Blusound Vault 2, P50SA, A80's, BMU, TIS, LS7, MA PL200, Meridian 506 (18 bit).

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

You listen!!

The full process. Put the speaker flat on as near to the wall as possible, listen. Move away from the wall until the tonal mix is as you prefer. It will be thicker nearer the wall and thinner the further away.

Then toe in in degrees until you get the image you want. More angle = deeper.

TheMadMick
ST_PATRICK'S_SALTIRE

Took my credit card in hand and went for the KLE pure harmony phonos (£90.00 a set) and 99.99% silver wire. I made them with the strain relief sleeves holding the 2 wires apart at the plugs and that makes the wires run apart for a deal of the run.

To be honest, I thought I was blowing my money but now I'm not so sure. Listening to Sade with no running in the detail is improved although the bass is a bit heavy compared with what I'm used to. Is it worthwhile? Not sure yet. It's certainly different and more different than I anticipated but out of the same school of presentation - unsurprisingly!

Give me a few weeks to completely run in and I'll come back to you. Fun this tweaking!!!

TheMadMick
ST_PATRICK'S_SALTIRE

A week in and these new cables are opening up nicely. It's just so much easier to hear stuff and the music communicates in a way I've never experienced before. The notes have shape and they are part of a coherent whole. Not only can I hear things I've never heard before but the instruments have a very distinct timbre. Acoustic stuff is particularly nice.

The bass is deep, a bit dry and extremely tuneful and underpins the music wonderfully. I love it.

The only remaining niggle is a touch of upper mid mid range hardness - I seem to be plagued with that. Maybe it's the rest of my system or my ears? Let's see. :-?

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

It's the Pro-Acs I tell ye! I'm not saying more, but they all seem to have the same kind of sound to them, Response 2's excepted.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

TheMadMick
ST_PATRICK'S_SALTIRE

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:It's the Pro-Acs I tell ye! I'm not saying more, but they all seem to have the same kind of sound to them, Response 2's excepted.
You know, your ears and mine must be wired in antiphase. The one ProAc I couldn't stand for its hard upper mid range was the Response 2. Hey Ho!! Loved my Tablettes except they had no "heft" to them.

And just to say, I've been listening to Pink and Stevie Nicks. No trace of that mid range hardness. It's gone - thank goodness.

However, the complete comparison is a bit out the window as the speaker units had worked themselves loose again. I'm starting to wonder about the construction quality of these D28's??

I now have imaging to die for, tonal balance resolved and real toe tapping going on. Just love it. I'm quite surprised how much difference the Pure Harmony plugs make - although I suppose I shouldn't given the difference the silver wire made?

antonio66
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by antonio66 »

Seems the new homemade I/C's have put the finishing touch to your system. Enjoy until you get some more 'upgrade' ideas in your head. ;) :lol: