Japanese DD TT re-plinth (general)

A place for DIY project discussions.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Japanese DD TT re-plinth (general)

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I have had lots of experience with Japanese DD TT from the early 70's until recent offerings. I developed a theory that has largely proved to be correct that you make no mistake if you buy them by the kilo. The heavy ones are good, the light ones are shite. Of course platter and motor weight and quality are part of this, but the major part is the cheap plastic plinths used in the cheap ones.

Ten years ago you could buy the good ones for peanuts, one of my PL71's was bought then from a guy in Crawley for less that £50, now I wouldn't sell it for under £300 and probably more. Also available stock is drying up and has to bought from Germany or the US as in our flat earth stupidity very few were imported here.

So you woodworkers and DIY boffs, buy one of the cheapos still seen at eBay and get the tools out and see what difference adding a solid marine ply (or similar) plinth and solid arm board does for them. I think it would be a worthwhile exercise.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: Japanese DD TT re-plinth (general)

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Some of the mid-mass models (better older pre-DJ era techies and so on) apparently respond to being placed in a mass-loaded outer plinth such as a lined 'sand-box' for example. REMOVE THE LID WHEN PLAYING as a resonant lid on a fairly solid but light weight plinth - even down - kills it - same goes for Rega's and their ilk too!
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...