Doc modding Marantz imperial 7

A place for DIY project discussions.
karatestu
Great Britain

Re: Doc modding Marantz imperial 7

Unread post by karatestu »

Another development in karatestu speaker land. :dance: I hope you are keeping up :grin:

Being the impatient sort with these things i decided to hunt around for anything i could use for tweeters for the outer sides of my little cuboids. The cone tweeters from my marantz imperial 7 are shagged :cry: Didn't think i had anything but then i remembered an old pair of computer powered speakers which blew and i hadn't chucked them out :roll:

Took them apart and took the drivers out. Says four ohms on these tiny full range (that's a joke :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ) oval cones with open back. Anyway, i checked for continuity and resistance and they are 4 ohms and good to go :dance: . Blu tacked the back of the magnet to the outer sides of the cuboid speakers and wired them in at the end of the series chain.

So i have got four tweeter's in series now all pointing in different directions with total nominal impedance of 24 ohms. Can't be arsed to change the high pass filter cap again at the moment so went ahead and turned it on............
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

Pic showing the new additional tweeter.

I wonder about the oval driver being open back. I need to research if i am getting wave cancellation from this dipole. Maybe i just shove some gaffer tape over the two small holes.

This is a lot of fun and the system is sounding very good. I have not heard sounds coming from this far outside of my speakers before, the sound stage has been expanded.
DIY FREE ZONE

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

:naughty: Double craft thickness cardboard is the new "must have" baffle material then Stu? Seriously now though, glad to red and see you are having fun and learning much from the project! Almost as much as I'm having following your exploits.

But I don't think you're going to gain too much I the way of points for aesthetic appeal, but then again getting "the sound" is what matters most as Steve Gutenberg alluded to in one of his Audiophiliac posts a short while back.

Best wishes

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

karatestu
Great Britain

You should see the mess round the back Alfi :lol: Wires like spaghetti junction.

I know that cardboard is a bit of a joke but hey i was in a rush :grin: My creations have never been worthy of winning beauty competitions but then they are all work in progress. I haven't finished a single thing as i can't stop fannying around with it.

One day soon i will stop doing prototypes and build the final thing. Just waiting to hear if HS2 is still going ahead past my house and if it isn't then i am staying put and will put the bass drivers in a manifold between the floor joists. Then i know what to build "up top" :grin:
DIY FREE ZONE

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

Well done Stu! Doc would be proud of you that's for sure :dance: :clap:

You have a top flight sense of humour and an insatiable appetite to tinker and fiddle with things.!

Yeah that HS2 worry must be terrible for you and all folk in and around its path.

Best wishes.

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

Latteman
Great Britain

Unread post by Latteman »

One of my Richard Allan come tweeters just got too old- 18th Dec 1968 was born- have a spare- wipper snapper at 1973 😂
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f; AT-VM95SH
GL-59; ARB uni pivot; AT- Signet
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- Argon Pi4 v2; IfI iUSB 3.0, Ifi Neo idsd Dac;
Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 300va mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources

karatestu
Great Britain

Latteman wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:28 pm One of my Richard Allan come tweeters just got too old- 18th Dec 1968 was born- have a spare- wipper snapper at 1973 😂
Those are highly regarded drivers. Doc thought they were very good. Voicecoil trouble ?
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

Alfi wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:16 pm Well done Stu! Doc would be proud of you that's for sure :dance: :clap:

You have a top flight sense of humour and an insatiable appetite to tinker and fiddle with things.!

Yeah that HS2 worry must be terrible for you and all folk in and around its path.

Best wishes.

Alfi.
Very kind words Alfi , thank you. :guiness;

It helps to have a sense of humour i find :grin: Coming from a zero electronics background and working in industry a million miles away i had a lot to learn and i have found my journey so far to be immensely enjoyable and interesting. In a way i wish i had studied and gone in to the electronics industry but being a farmer's son you get a bit blinkered and drawn in to that way of life. Maybe i should study it (home study) but then i'd have bugger all time to ruin hifi :lol:

I don't think anything i am doing is cutting edge or new ground but it is to me which is why i can get a bit excited at times when i discover something which makes the music sound better. Everything i do is with a view regarding how Richard would have done it but sometimes with my own little twist. I know my limits (which are expanding) and i am fully aware of the holes in my knowledge. I am trying to fill them in :grin:

Many methods used by Richard are considered bad practice if you read diy forums. Maybe that is because the text books say it is wrong or people just believe what they have read or been told. In most cases these people have never actually tried doing it this way or their measurements said it was bad so they didn't even listen. The proof is in the listening :grin: Drivers wired in series is a classic example of this as is doping a bass driver and throwing the low pass filter away. Semi omni gets attacked for involving the room and reflections too much but to many of us it works and much preferable to something with controlled directivity with horns, compression drivers and waveguides (the ultimate point & squirt).

Doc's power amp circuit sounds absolutely glorious to me. Post the circuit diagram up for scrutiny by "experts" and wait for it to be pulled apart. And ridiculed. I find it all a bit depressing as they have obviously never heard the results and dismiss it immediately because it sticks two fingers up at convention. I must say i get a bit tired of the way these "experts" or "gurus " try to make you feel like you are a second rate music lover and that your ears must be inferior.

Anyway, this tweeter breeding project has been well worth the effort so far. Even with them just blu tacked or screwed to the cabinet or pushed through a cardboard baffle extension the result is quite magnificent and worth the extra money it is going to cost me to buy another six Visaton G25ffl. I am looking forward to getting further improvements from having all the tweeters the same and properly mounted in the baffle to minimise diffraction.

I don't think you need to biamp to do this. All the tweeters in series and that in parallel with an 8 ohm mid bass will result in a load over 4 ohms for the amplifier. I have one amp on the mids and tweeters at the moment and the heat sink is not overly warm and not as hot as the other amp running two isobaric 12 inchers wired in parallel.

When i finish my third amp with nva boards then my tweeters will get an amplifier to themselves. It will be interesting to see how it copes with a 32 ohm load. With just one tweeter and padding resistor the load was 20 ohms to start with so only another 12 :shifty: I have read that as the load goes up an amplifier has to swing more voltage rather than current and i suppose the amount of voltage it can swing depends on the psu rail voltage. If it sounds better with mid and tweets in parallel then i will stick with that.

Its pissing down all day here (again :roll: ) so i hope to do some more listening. My paper work has never been so up to date .
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

I can't believe this thread has got to 63 pages and over 51,000 views. See if it makes it to 100 pages :think:
DIY FREE ZONE

Latteman
Great Britain

Unread post by Latteman »

Yep- it was not playing so removed it and the magnet disengaged from the coil which looks in good condition- will attempt repair at some stage 🙃
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f; AT-VM95SH
GL-59; ARB uni pivot; AT- Signet
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- Argon Pi4 v2; IfI iUSB 3.0, Ifi Neo idsd Dac;
Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 300va mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources