Solid Oak Speaker Stands

A place for DIY project discussions.
terrybooth
Great Britain

Solid Oak Speaker Stands

Unread post by terrybooth »

I've been thinking about trying this for some time. So today I bought some bits to do it.

The recipe so far:

A new oak sleeper (8" x 4 " x 8 and a bit foot) cut to four 2ft lengths (to make two pairs of stands).
Some oak flooring cut to 8" x 7" rectangles to provide 'feet'

Why?

Well, at the moment I'm using metal stands under the Cubes/Cubettes. If nothing else, I think I'll prefer the look of wooden stands. But the other thing is that I want to see what the effect of having these 'massive' stands under the speakers has on the sound (if any) the timber is still wet but each main piece probably weighs around 20lb at the moment.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Solid Oak Speaker Stands

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

As it dries it will split so treatment needed to stop it. I am not an expert so don't know how, but someone here will.

George Hincapie
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by George Hincapie »

Good choice Terry. I echo Doc's comments; a trip to Wickes may provide a suitable treatment.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Danish Oil is what the timber yard recommended. I'll have to go and get some.

terrybooth
Great Britain

The timber yard had what was basically a quarter of a tree trunk cut and polished as speaker stands already - looked too big for what I wanted.

But it's an experiment. I can just throw it away (or put it on the fire) if it doesn't go right.

TheMadMick
ST_PATRICK'S_SALTIRE

Unread post by TheMadMick »

If you want "massive" I have copy Target R4's about 0.7m high. They weigh about 30 - 40 kg each. You can have them if you want to travel to Southport. They need a rub down and a repaint as they are a tad rusty in places - but what do you want for nothing. More details and pics if interested. :?:
Blusound Vault 2, P50SA, A80's, BMU, TIS, LS7, MA PL200, Meridian 506 (18 bit).

George Hincapie

Unread post by George Hincapie »

I still think the Custom Design FS104 or FS106 would be a stunning match for the Cubes. I will probably buy some when I manage to develop a defence against the Doc's Jedi mind tricks "John I have some wonderful TIS for you, come and feel them. Look at their magnificance! These are the cables you are looking for!" ... "OK! Take all my money!" :whistle:

wiicrackpot

Unread post by wiicrackpot »

TheMadMick wrote:If you want "massive" I have copy Target R4's about 0.7m high. They weigh about 30 - 40 kg each. You can have them if you want to travel to Southport. They need a rub down and a repaint as they are a tad rusty in places - but what do you want for nothing. More details and pics if interested. :?:
Thats seriously heavy shit, :shock: have you got a health risk sticker on those bad boys. :mrgreen:
Frank...made me do it.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

George Hincapie wrote:I still think the Custom Design FS104 or FS106 would be a stunning match for the Cubes. I will probably buy some when I manage to develop a defence against the Doc's Jedi mind tricks "John I have some wonderful TIS for you, come and feel them. Look at their magnificance! These are the cables you are looking for!" ... "OK! Take all my money!" :whistle:
:twisted: :ugeek:

terrybooth
Great Britain

TheMadMick wrote:If you want "massive" I have copy Target R4's about 0.7m high. They weigh about 30 - 40 kg each. You can have them if you want to travel to Southport. They need a rub down and a repaint as they are a tad rusty in places - but what do you want for nothing. More details and pics if interested. :?:
Thanks. I will come back too that if my diy efforts come to naught. Today, that mostly meant searching the house for my belt sander, not finding it and buying another. All the wood is now rough sanded. It gives me pleasure seeing the grain appear out of the wood. The uprights still have a lot of drying to do. Need to get hold of some Danish oil and hope I don't get too many cracks before next weekend.