Home Brew vintage speakers

A place for DIY project discussions.
Quarknosis

Home Brew vintage speakers

Unread post by Quarknosis »

I picked these up on Friday. Lovely Formica finished cabinets :roll: they are big beasts but I wonder how much work and effort it is worth putting into them

I managed a quick listen via a T amp from a Blu ray playing CDs. At least they work and are actually much better than expected after my last experience with speakers of this vintage which were Goodmans Axiettes.

While I had the cabinets open to find out what was inside them I untwisted the internal wire and replaced the 2mm sockets with 4mm.

Goodmans 12" drivers

Eagle horn type tweeter

Hunts 2uF metallised paper capacitor. Are these likely to be any good?

Where they might end up? I plan to raise them off the floor a bit. I'm looking forward to hearing them with an NVA amp
Main System. Amp - Luxman LV-120, CD - Pioneer PDX505 & Hitachi DA 401. Turntable - Trio KD-2055/Denon DL-110 & Ortofon VMS20E. Cassette Deck - JVC KD A55. Speakers - Arcam Alpha connected with NVA LS3.

Headphone System - Little Dot Mkiii headphone amp, various vintage CD players into NVA P50 with Sennheiser HD600 and Beyer DT 880

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Home Brew vintage speakers

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Do the same as this guy as you are doing something very similar, but his from a Celestion. He has fitted an Eagle Horn as well. Paper in oil are the best, and they never go bad so it is fine. Wadding out, steel plate the cabinet.

You should ignore the Jammy posts he was drunk, he is still here just gone quiet, probably with embarrassment. http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... f=4&t=6708

Quarknosis

Unread post by Quarknosis »

I think it will be a slow process but experience with the JPWs have shown that it will be would be worth it. I'll probably need a sack barrow to move them if the are steel lined though.
Main System. Amp - Luxman LV-120, CD - Pioneer PDX505 & Hitachi DA 401. Turntable - Trio KD-2055/Denon DL-110 & Ortofon VMS20E. Cassette Deck - JVC KD A55. Speakers - Arcam Alpha connected with NVA LS3.

Headphone System - Little Dot Mkiii headphone amp, various vintage CD players into NVA P50 with Sennheiser HD600 and Beyer DT 880

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Looking at the cabs it will be really worth it, maybe limit it to 3mm plate to keep weight down. I love old speakers like that, big fat and ugly, real hi-fi. But like every woman my wife would not have them in our living area, luckily I have my work room. Though she loves the Cubes and uses Cubettes in her personal system.

Ah! another thing, sometimes that old type grille cloth filters high frequencies.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

These would be similar good fun I think http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Goodm ... SwHxVW7~7u

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

There's a chap called Sid Chaplain who supplies vintage radio grille cloth.. Maybe he'd have something better textured but period.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...