DIY turntable shelf

A place for DIY project discussions.
jayman67
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: DIY turntable shelf

Unread post by jayman67 »

looks very nice there mate,how much was the acrylic?
Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS/Zeta tonearms,Denon 103sa cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp.

Jonty2547

Unread post by Jonty2547 »

£27 (ebay) for the acrylic and a tenner for the brackets :mrgreen:
TT- Thorens TD160B MKII with SME 3009, SL1210 and PL-71. Amps-NVA P50sa/A40's & Phono 1. CDP- Sony X555ES. Speakers-B&W 705 with LS1.
Headphone system Bushmaster II, Capella amp, Pi 3B+ with Hifiberry Digi+ Pro & Nighthawk cans.

antonio66

Unread post by antonio66 »

Well done Jonty, the shelf looks great and all for £37, not bad when when they're selling for the £200 mark. Let us know what you decide on to place between bracket and shelf.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Balsa - Bonkers :shock:
Balsa is not bonkers in my experience . End grain balsa is a very interesting material , it is very light , very rigid in one plane and can be cut like butter in the other. It was of course championed by Arthur of PT for arm boards and sub chasis , on the basis of his light but rigid preference . Upon this basis I bought a sheet it was not cheap .

I have used it to good effect as :

blocks between speakers and supports ,
decoupling speakers from the floor
and the revelation that was an armboard for my record player .

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

You can pick up a Target TT1 shelf (used) for a little over £30. Much stronger in my experience to those brackets.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

I think you are being wildly optimistic with your pricing there and a quick look on eBay concurs .

Jonty2547

Each of those brackets will hold up to 200kgs.
I'm not sure of the weight of my TT, but hazarding a wild guess it's probably not that much.
TT- Thorens TD160B MKII with SME 3009, SL1210 and PL-71. Amps-NVA P50sa/A40's & Phono 1. CDP- Sony X555ES. Speakers-B&W 705 with LS1.
Headphone system Bushmaster II, Capella amp, Pi 3B+ with Hifiberry Digi+ Pro & Nighthawk cans.

Jonty2547

From a bodge job to this…
I luckily found an old Target Audio turntable shelf on Gumtree for £15 and the seller even delivered it!
On the down side, it’d been hacked about beyond belief.
As far as i can tell the original owner had chopped it and welded bits in to incorporate a lower shelf?
So, after sorting the poor welding and bringing it back to bare metal then applying several coats of Plasti-Kote it looked a bit more eye friendly :)
It came as a bare frame, so i added 4 adjustable spikes from an old speaker stand and a granite chopping board that cost the princely sum of £7.
The lower shelf comprises of a sheet 15mm acrylic with a painted wooden chopping board on top.
The best thing is that i have a nice platform to place my superb NVA phono stage on now.
So, all i all, it’s cost me very little and it does it’s job extremely well. ImageImage

:guiness; Fuck yes!

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Balsa....
Fuk off.

Mr Quimm is winding ya up......

antonio66