DIY turntable shelf

A place for DIY project discussions.
zebbo
Great Britain

Re: DIY turntable shelf

Unread post by zebbo »

antonio66 wrote:Zebbo, does the acrylic shelf sit on spikes on top of your rack?
Nope. Initially it sat on the little rubber blobs that the glass was sitting on but it sounded better still sitting directly on the frame. I have a hunch that it may be even better bonded to the frame but I don't want it that permanent.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Jonty2547 wrote:
zebbo wrote:I replaced the top of my rack with 20mm acrylic. I decided to have a couple of hi-fi mates around for the evening so we could all judge what effect, if any, it would have over the 6mm glass. We were all amazed at the improvement and it's not super expensive. My top @ 1260mm x 500mm x 20mm, (black) was about £70.
That's good to know! May i ask where you got it from?

Anglian plastics I think it was. Doc's recommendation. 8-)
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

jayman67
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jayman67 »

'Anglia Plastics - Address: 13 Albone Way, Biggleswade SG18 8BN
Phone: 01767 310327
ask for jack
Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS/Zeta tonearms,Denon 103sa cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp.

antonio66

Unread post by antonio66 »

antonio66

Unread post by antonio66 »

Tha
zebbo wrote:
antonio66 wrote:Zebbo, does the acrylic shelf sit on spikes on top of your rack?
Nope. Initially it sat on the little rubber blobs that the glass was sitting on but it sounded better still sitting directly on the frame. I have a hunch that it may be even better bonded to the frame but I don't want it that permanent.
Thanks Zebbo, my PT is sitting on top of the sideboard just on the 4 rubber feet. I did wonder if I should have a shelf, but if you remember I have drilled a hole in the top of the sideboard for the arm cable to exit which would also mean doing the same for the shelf.

Sorry for the thread drift Jonty.

Jonty2547

Unread post by Jonty2547 »

Great, thanks :handgestures-thumbupleft: I'll order what i need on Monday 8-)
Quite looking forward to hearing any difference when the TT is off my "orribe" rack.
TT- Thorens TD160B MKII with SME 3009, SL1210 and PL-71. Amps-NVA P50sa/A40's & Phono 1. CDP- Sony X555ES. Speakers-B&W 705 with LS1.
Headphone system Bushmaster II, Capella amp, Pi 3B+ with Hifiberry Digi+ Pro & Nighthawk cans.

jayman67

Unread post by jayman67 »

sweet as,i must order some to make a tonearm board
Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS/Zeta tonearms,Denon 103sa cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

antonio66 wrote:Tha
zebbo wrote:
Thanks Zebbo, my PT is sitting on top of the sideboard just on the 4 rubber feet. I did wonder if I should have a shelf, but if you remember I have drilled a hole in the top of the sideboard for the arm cable to exit which would also mean doing the same for the shelf.

Sorry for the thread drift Jonty.
My PT is now sitting directly on the acrylic shelf, no feet at all, best yet.

Jonty2547

jayman67 wrote:sweet as,i must order some to make a tonearm board
Brilliant idea! Easy to work with and will look super cool 8-)
I very much look forward to seeing the fruits of your labour :mrgreen:
TT- Thorens TD160B MKII with SME 3009, SL1210 and PL-71. Amps-NVA P50sa/A40's & Phono 1. CDP- Sony X555ES. Speakers-B&W 705 with LS1.
Headphone system Bushmaster II, Capella amp, Pi 3B+ with Hifiberry Digi+ Pro & Nighthawk cans.

Jonty2547

A 50x50x10cm test piece of acrylic turn up today and i grabbed some brackets from Screwfix and bolted it to the wall...

Unfortunately i’ve no time to have a proper listen until the weekend and i still need to put something between the shelf and the brackets, but it’s a relief to finally get it off the stand.
The plan is to make mini shelves underneath it and plonk the NVA gear on them and bin the rack.
It’s going to be an utter bastard to keep clean, but i think the little black boxes look quite nice sat on the same material as their casings (although i need to the get the ends polished).

Final cost was £37, which if it sounds good is massively cheaper than buying a ready made item.