JPW P1 Doc Mods

A place for DIY project discussions.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: JPW P1 Doc Mods

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Interesting comment about prices though. I have always been amused by the Naim owners who sell their Naim and buy new nva and make a profit. Well looking at the replacement driver market the same seems to apply. Reason is just another rip-off, they think they have a captive market and you have to buy from them the same driver if a speaker fails - not so, just Doc Mod and sell you existing drivers on ebay to help others with broken speakers and replace with Doc Mod ones.

BTW I have decided to make the Doc Mod tweeters available to buy as an alternative to the very expensive Visatons I normally recommend. I have done more work on the tweeter recently and I think now it is so close to the Visaton as to make it a viable alternative. I am even thinking of changing the Cubes to it.

Anyway the tweeters are available at £50 a pair plus postage. I have tried to find the prices for the Doc Mod Bass / Mids and can't find the post, can anyone link me to it.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

do the tweeters need capacitor and resistor, one or both ? Are they supplied with it ?

of work Thursday and Friday to do some work on my speakers , any chance you can get me a pair by then ;) don't worry if not possible it can wait and I always impatient.

ps - bass drivers I know how much I paid , but I was the first and it was some time ago .

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

No not supplied, two of these from your local Maplin will do the job http://www.maplin.co.uk/c/components/ca ... PerPage=12 resistors you should get as well at Maplin, any wattage above 5w but the resistance will need a little experiment start with 10-12ohm. Lower value for more tweeter output and obviously visa versa.

I can send the tweeters tomorrow by UPS so *should* get there Thursday.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Oh well Maplin link doesn't work fully. Link to it then side panel link to Polystyrene, side panel link to 3.3mfd and that is them.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Daniel Quinn wrote: bass drivers I know how much I paid , but I was the first and it was some time ago .
On one of the Doc Mod or DIY threads I listed the prices for the different size driver, do you think I can find it now :roll: once found I will sticky it.

Daniel Quinn

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:No not supplied, two of these from your local Maplin will do the job http://www.maplin.co.uk/c/components/ca ... PerPage=12 resistors you should get as well at Maplin, any wattage above 5w but the resistance will need a little experiment start with 10-12ohm. Lower value for more tweeter output and obviously visa versa.

I can send the tweeters tomorrow by UPS so *should* get there Thursday.
I have some caps and resistors in that I already use , I think they are 3.3 and 4.7 clarify caps . I see the diameter is 72mm , I will need to check when I get home , unless anybody already knows .

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Confirm ASAP as I have work to do on them before sending. They are in raw state at the mo.

Daniel Quinn

okay . They are 70mm which I presume will fit with the same mods for the tags as previously advised.

In the bath with my tablet and toddler dq at the moment. Will sort payment this evening.

Quarknosis

Unread post by Quarknosis »

Doc, here's the link to the prices for the drivers http://hifisubjectivist.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=46916 While searching I came across the price DQ paid, he got a fantastic price. I'd be interested in a pair of the 8 inch drivers at the prices quoted in the link though. Would those prices include P&P?

DQ, the original caps for the JPWs would have been 4.7uF, the 3.3uF caps are the ones Doc recommends for his mods.
Main System. Amp - Luxman LV-120, CD - Pioneer PDX505 & Hitachi DA 401. Turntable - Trio KD-2055/Denon DL-110 & Ortofon VMS20E. Cassette Deck - JVC KD A55. Speakers - Arcam Alpha connected with NVA LS3.

Headphone System - Little Dot Mkiii headphone amp, various vintage CD players into NVA P50 with Sennheiser HD600 and Beyer DT 880

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Thanks for the link, I have made it a sticky.

No P&P at cost has to applied as I hope some / most can be collected. Packing safely is a pain, even more so with tweeters after mods.