Lenco GL75 Hacked About.

A place for DIY project discussions.
SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Re: Lenco GL75 Hacked About.

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

The Permed One wrote:Awesome arms the mayware a comany that i agree with. Marketed the best eva head amp imho..T24

But wtf is the fasination with valve amps people?
Why?
What's wrong with valve amps?
They're great things to build (I built the ones in the pic at the top of this thread) and they sound great if you build them properly.
Like anything else hi-fi, valve amps are not immune from the bullshit brigade.
There are some real, proper bling festooned pieces of garbage out there, possibly worse than transistor amps in that respect. There are, however a few folks around that know what they are doing and can build valve amps that give true high end sound.
Last edited by SteveTheShadow on Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

The Permed One
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by The Permed One »

Had a formula 4 for years loved it. Fits perfetly in the 'G75' hole but you have to make a couple washers to slightly make the hole smaller. I did a post on wank of sound some time ago showing this...only thing is the flip switch on the Lenco is very close to the styli.

The Permed One

SteveTheShadow wrote:
The Permed One wrote:Awesome arms the mayware a comany that i agree with. Marketed the best eva head amp imho..T24

But wtf is the fasination with valve amps people?
Why?
What's wrong with valve amps?
I jst think people use them as masking tape.

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Indeed.
I just like them because they glow.
As the Doc said a long time ago valve amps appeal to DIYers like me because the circuits are simple (well they are when you first start) and it is quite easy to get a decent sound out of your creation than it is with a transistor amplifier, for which you need quite a bit more expertise, unless you just copy device application notes and put the resultant circuit in a blingy box and shovel BS all over it.

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Here are the circuits of my current valve setup.

These took quite a few years of trying, listening, rejecting and trying again until I was happy.
Now the Doc might look at these schematics and say "FFS I could have come up with that in five minutes, on the back of an envelope whilst sitting on the bog. How come it took you so long to get to that?" But for me it is not so much the destination, as the journey there, and the satisfaction you get at the end of the process, where you have had to get the books out and learn.
Most of my hi-fi is now self-built, and going back to the turntable and arm, which is the subject of this thread; It is a distinct possibility that I will be ordering an NVA phono 1 before the end of the summer. I know when to leave things to the experts. :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

The only thing I can say is "well done, good job".

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

I understand SFA you've just been pumping yer "keyboard gums" about Steve, but hats off to you and yer ilk.......respect.

Should have bought a Techie n Goldie.......job done.... :lol: :guiness;

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Thanks Doc.

I've got the arm fitted to the Lenco and adjusted up. TBH it was a piece of cake. I'd read all sorts of stories about the Mayware being a PITA to set up, but I didn't have any problems. Here it is, playing George Benson and Earl Klugh's " Collaboration" album, from the late 'eighties and making a damn fine sound as it does so.

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Here it is from another angle, showing the cartridge a bit better.
Right at the back, the bias thread can just about be seen, pulling horizontally.
We can also see that the pivot housing is all lined up nicely; no leaning either way.

At 1.2g, the Shure M97xE is tracking anything I can throw at it. This arm suits it perfectly.
Surface noise is none existent, scratches are handled well, the sound is clean, dynamic and detailed, without going all
hyper and preternatural on me; IOW well balanced top to bottom.
Bass goes far lower than it did with the Shure on the Rega arm, but the old PRaT is not compromised at all.

I'm well pleased.
Listening to the superb music, this turntable combo is making, the conclusion I have to come to, it that that blasted Flat Earth philosphy has a fooking lot to bloody answer for. :x

The Permed One

Brilliant uni's.. Midrange is so open & luverly sounding.. Get yourself an old Mayware 'MC-7V' cart re tip it use it with Mayware 'T24' Head, be one of the best front ends yer heard imho...