AUDIOPHONICS RaspDAC I-Sabre V3 DAC ES9023 TCXO

A place for DIY project discussions.
terrybooth
Great Britain

Re: AUDIOPHONICS RaspDAC I-Sabre V3 DAC ES9023 TCXO

Unread post by terrybooth »

Yep. Very nearly bought one of them. I was after one with their power supply. But they were our of power supplies. Thinking about it, though other than the display, is there really anything that it adds to a basic PI + DAC combo (PI2 + HiFiBerry Dac+ with a crude home screwed together PSU in my case). I'm quite happy using a phone/tablet as a user interface.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I fear that the Sabre DAC chips as used for audio, tend to be hf detail orientated and the music content is secondary. I'm going to give a shout to Stan Beresford here, as his products are well liked by normal music lovers, well priced and he's readily available to talk to if you have any questions...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

rikardo1979
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by rikardo1979 »

terrybooth wrote:Yep. Very nearly bought one of them. I was after one with their power supply. But they were our of power supplies. Thinking about it, though other than the display, is there really anything that it adds to a basic PI + DAC combo (PI2 + HiFiBerry Dac+ with a crude home screwed together PSU in my case). I'm quite happy using a phone/tablet as a user interface.
This is the latest V3 Sabre with ESS 9023 DAC with own TCXO clock. It sounds very good

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znJ67VzzlSY[/BBvideo]

My remote is Bubble UpNp on Lenovo tablet :)
ImageImage
  • AMP -Sugden A21; Pioneer SC-LX59 Home cinema
  • Speakers - Spendor D7 (Special Ebony finish)
  • Analogue - Clearaudio Concept MM
  • Phono - Clearaudio Nano
  • Digital - Philips CD753 with TDA1549; AUDIOPHONICS I-Sabre V3 DAC ES9023 TCXO; Sony BDP-S500
  • RCM - Project VC-S
  • Cables - Chord Epic Twin speaker cables; DIY Inteconnects (Van Damme)
[/size][/font]

walterwhite
Wales

Unread post by walterwhite »

rikardo1979 wrote:I choosed cheaper option without RPi as I have few at home :D
But if you order full kit you will get
alu case
OLED display
power button (I-Sabre DAC has power management built in)
short HDMI cable to bring the connection from RPi to the case
mounting bits, bolts, nuts, cable ribbons for power button and OLED

My kit involved some soldering as the OLED needed header to be soldered on. It was supplied even with solder wire . Not sure if new kits have this pre-built. When I was ordering it was just pre-order and released few days later. So I have had it in first batch, pretty messed :D as I have a lot of bits in packaging which were meant for older V2

PSU is not included! Youy would need your own. Its powered through the DAC board which pass power over GPIO to RPi which is very good. Not the other way round where you would get dirty power to DAC from RPi.
Thei recommend 6V maximum 12V cos DAC is going to take a bit of and RPi need 5V. I would not go for 12V as it may start overheat a bit. I bought LPS with variable out which I set to 9V
Thanks for the info. I'm actually not too bothered about the OLED display. I find them more of a distraction than anything else. I'm more interested in the fact that it all comes in a case that can be moved around without the danger of damaging the sensitive electronics. The trouble is that I've really fallen for the musicality of the Durio DAC, and would be wary of changing for something else in case I didn't like it. I've already managed to damage it when I was rearranging my system a while back, and it's running on USB power from the Pi now, and has taken a hit in SQ consequently, so I am looking to replace it. I also don't mind using an off-board user interface such as Volumio through either my tablet or PC.

Maybe I just need a decent case, but I haven't seen a way to make that happen as yet.
Bi-amped A80's, P90sa, LS6, AP10h, Phono2/2 PSU's, BMU, SSC, SSP2, Raspberry pi/Durio Sound Dacs, Rega RP6/Dynavector 10x5, Royd RR2.

rikardo1979

walterwhite wrote:
rikardo1979 wrote:I choosed cheaper option without RPi as I have few at home :D
But if you order full kit you will get
alu case
OLED display
power button (I-Sabre DAC has power management built in)
short HDMI cable to bring the connection from RPi to the case
mounting bits, bolts, nuts, cable ribbons for power button and OLED

My kit involved some soldering as the OLED needed header to be soldered on. It was supplied even with solder wire . Not sure if new kits have this pre-built. When I was ordering it was just pre-order and released few days later. So I have had it in first batch, pretty messed :D as I have a lot of bits in packaging which were meant for older V2

PSU is not included! Youy would need your own. Its powered through the DAC board which pass power over GPIO to RPi which is very good. Not the other way round where you would get dirty power to DAC from RPi.
Thei recommend 6V maximum 12V cos DAC is going to take a bit of and RPi need 5V. I would not go for 12V as it may start overheat a bit. I bought LPS with variable out which I set to 9V
Thanks for the info. I'm actually not too bothered about the OLED display. I find them more of a distraction than anything else. I'm more interested in the fact that it all comes in a case that can be moved around without the danger of damaging the sensitive electronics. The trouble is that I've really fallen for the musicality of the Durio DAC, and would be wary of changing for something else in case I didn't like it. I've already managed to damage it when I was rearranging my system a while back, and it's running on USB power from the Pi now, and has taken a hit in SQ consequently, so I am looking to replace it. I also don't mind using an off-board user interface such as Volumio through either my tablet or PC.

Maybe I just need a decent case, but I haven't seen a way to make that happen as yet.
bank holiday weekend this weekend ;) Come here and have a listen. And you can get a great time on beach :) Great place for visiting
You can sleep at ours if you dont mind inflatable bed :grin:
  • Digital - Philips CD753 with TDA1549; AUDIOPHONICS I-Sabre V3 DAC ES9023 TCXO; Sony BDP-S500
  • RCM - Project VC-S
[/size][/font]

walterwhite
Wales

Unread post by walterwhite »

Well, again, thanks for the offer, but it really is too far away as I'm in Norwich :lol:
Bi-amped A80's, P90sa, LS6, AP10h, Phono2/2 PSU's, BMU, SSC, SSP2, Raspberry pi/Durio Sound Dacs, Rega RP6/Dynavector 10x5, Royd RR2.

rikardo1979

walterwhite wrote:Well, again, thanks for the offer, but it really is too far away as I'm in Norwich :lol:
its nothing :) My friend use to live in Wigan ;)
  • RCM - Project VC-S
[/size][/font]

rikardo1979

Anyone good with code who can help to modify Moode? I would need to make PWR management and OLED python implementation
  • RCM - Project VC-S
[/size][/font]

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Sorry Rikardo - can't help you there. my programming days were 25 years ago with IBM mainframes.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

rikardo1979

Fretless wrote:Sorry Rikardo - can't help you there. my programming days were 25 years ago with IBM mainframes.
Even worst here :) I never liked it even I am with computers since early 90's
  • RCM - Project VC-S
[/size][/font]