A new project

A place for DIY project discussions.
jimbob
Great Britain

A new project

Unread post by jimbob »

Following on from how bowled over I am by my doc mod Allison's and inspired by Andrews diy Cubette thread on TAS, I have decided to start another project.

The project is to use the Cubette cabs and build a mini cubix by stacking the Cubette boxes. I ordered 6 boxes as I was originally going to go for a triple stack but have since changed my mind.

I will probably use the visaton tweeters and will be buying 4 of QTX Kevlar drivers. I am thinking of squeezing in the 6.5 inch drivers rather than the 5.25. I will have a go at doping the units myself as it's something I would really like to have a go at. The cabs will be steel lined although I had thought about using ceramic tiles.
Squeezebox Touch - Cambridge Audio Azur (pre) - Mycetias 250A Power Amp - Mycetias V2 Speakers

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: A new project

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Ceramic tiles work, just not as well as steel, but they work, carbon fibre doesn't work :roll: . Good luck with the doping, it took me two years of using different layers and ways to perfect it. All doping is good but there is a magic spot for those drivers, as Andrew has discovered sans doping they honk and screech, showing the Chinese PA drivers up for what they are. With the *doc* doping mods they are as good as anything around.

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

I think you should offer a doping masterclass! It could be a webinar or DVD boxset... Or VHS for the oldies! I will give the doping a go in the hope that I don't ruin the drivers.
Squeezebox Touch - Cambridge Audio Azur (pre) - Mycetias 250A Power Amp - Mycetias V2 Speakers

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Why should I, it is my skill, I have made enough things open source. I am putting up with a NVA *production* model being copied without my permission, can you imagine B&W etc putting up with that. OK Andrew has made the precedent, but I still see it as damn rudeness. The whole point of doc mods was to show how my techniques can improve on *any* speaker not giving carte blanche on copying mine.

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

I can understand you being miffed at people making carbon copies of your products but I don't feel as though that's what I'm doing as such. If I was making an acrylic cased twin 8 inch driver cubix then I would absolutely be guilty of copying you. As it is this is an experiment for me in trying your design but on a smaller scale and in a way that I can afford. Cubix are unfortunately out of my reach for the foreseeable future but I really want to try the design. I would never take any credit for the design my project and I'm certainly not about to start making speakers to sell! These are for me and I do want to try and get the hang of the doping so I will be giving it a go even if I cock it up... Which I probably will! :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

You are combining two of my *specific* designs, that *no one* else uses and you don't see it as polite to ask if it is OK. On top of which you wish to by-pass the only thing that makes me any money on any doc mod or copy, the doped drivers. Do you wish to pay me royalty on using my designs instead.

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

I would know where you are coming from if I was making them to sell but it's nothing more than a project in which I want to invest as little as possible in case I make a royal mess of it! If I cocked it up I would be stuck with £200 worth of bass drivers I would then have no use for plus I wouldn't have the experience of trying to have a go at the doping myself. I've not started this project and thread with the intention of pissing anyone off.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I have had my say, others can comment if they wish.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Just buy the divers of rd ready doped.

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

A 'mini-Cubix' that is relatively affordable could be an interesting product for the NVA range. Utilising Cubette or Cube 3 cabs.

I hope that this project will show if the Cubix principle can work on a smaller scale. Although I agree with DQ - use Doc's own doped drivers for the best results. After all, his secret formula is based on a lifetime of hard-won experience.

Interesting. Keep us posted. :grin: :epop:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450