turntable plinth

A place for DIY project discussions.
Orc 201267
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

turntable plinth

Unread post by Orc 201267 »

Can anyone point me in the right direction off turntable design I want to build a new plinth for my project carbon
I'm not a numpty wen it comes to things technical I've built many trikes and bikes in the past
I have found this place http://www.inspirehifi.co.uk/index.html they do a replacement plinth in birchply but its just a slab off ply and that's it you have to do the drilling and bits to fit the bits so its a lot off money for just a peace off ply
I'm after wat do I have to look out for and any pitfalls to look out for
Life is to short to do all the things I want to do

Daniel Quinn

Re: turntable plinth

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

First look out for your thumb . I replaced the top plate on my pt with a sheet of carbon fibre but severed the tendons and bones in my thumb with a hole cutting drill . It took the Preston's finest plastic surgeon 4 hours under local anaesthetic to put in back together .

I wouldn't expect much in turn of SQ changes by a change of plinth on a carbon , a solid piece of material is at the end of the day a solid piece of material . Though a piece of wood make look nicer depending on your tastes .

if it were me I would try and copy the higher end models by copying the plinth .it is a box filled with granulate material [ also seen it done with ball bearings ] The idea being that the movement absorbs the vibration and stops it effecting the arm/platter

you could also fit a dc motor at the same time ;)

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

To experiment, you could make a heavy, sand-lined (come to think of it, small ball bearings may well be tons better here ;)) box (probably with a gland of some sort to prevent sand getting into bearings and so on) and sit the deck into it..

The AC motors as used by Pro-Ject tend in their designs to put loads of upper bass and lower midrange 'whines, hums and general grunge into the stylus when playing I found. A shame as the bearings are usually very good and well engineered for the light platters they carry. Anything to make the basic drive as quiet as possible would be a huge help here.

A stone plinth would be fun (JBE used slate I think, but it's a long time ago and my head is frazzled at the moment).

The thing is, a decent old Techie (SL1500/1800 and siblings) would be better all round as long as the arm is in fine fettle (I'm ignoring the PL71 and Sony 6750 as these are hens teeth and getting expensive), but that's not an answer to your question, so please forgive me...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Orc 201267

Dsjr
You are forgiven sir
Thanks for the answers so far
I shall have a bucket off ice ready for my thumb Daniel

Orc 201267

Orc 201267

Orc 201267

Wonder if the wife would mis the tree over the koi pond
Now we're is that chainsaw :P

guydarryl

Unread post by guydarryl »

Hi,

You could try a supplier of kitchen worktops - solid blockboard (recently "renewed" my kitchen worktops - "worktop express - impressed with the quality, although you would have to buy quite a long piece).

However, as you have built trikes and bikes why not use your metal working skills and go for a "skeletal" design - Rega RP10? but even more basic. After all, if the plinth contributes to the sound of a deck, why not try to get rid of most of the plinth/resonances?
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1
Sony cdp xb930, Alessandro ms1

Orc 201267

Hi guy I did think off that I used to own a avid diva once had to sell it to pay I bill when the pub was going down hill after the smoking ban
I'm after a more organic look to be honest something unusual I'm not really trying to better the sound but if it does its a bonus
I'm just thinking the plinth is boring at the moment just a shiny black rectangle

spacejay

Unread post by spacejay »

you could try acrylic. my t/t plinth is an acrylic/aluminum-some other plastic that i can't remember sandwich. you can get this cut to size and it's easy to cut/drill.