Another Allison 6 refurb thread!

A place for DIY project discussions.
jimbob
Great Britain

Re: Another Allison 6 refurb thread!

Unread post by jimbob »

Their positioning is far from ideal but unfortunately that's just the way it is. I may be able to chance things next time we decorate. They are already more enjoyable than the Minstrels and they are getting better all the time. Unfortunately I'm using the old grilles as I haven't had time to make replacements.
Squeezebox Touch - Cambridge Audio Azur (pre) - Mycetias 250A Power Amp - Mycetias V2 Speakers

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Nothing wrong with the old grills.

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

I do quite like them but one has been damaged. It's not too noticeable unless you look for it. The speakers are sounding better each time I listen to them. The right one is a bit boxed in and this has always been a problem for every other speaker I've had. The right speaker has always seemed a bit boomy and louder than the left one. These 6's manage to sound extremely balanced with no hint of boom at all.
Squeezebox Touch - Cambridge Audio Azur (pre) - Mycetias 250A Power Amp - Mycetias V2 Speakers

antonio66
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by antonio66 »

What a lovely job you've done and an interesting read. Congrats. :clap:

BillyBones
Great Britain

Unread post by BillyBones »

They look the business James, well done. They'd look good either side of my chimney breast!

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

Thanks guys. It's been a bit of a drawn out process but I've really enjoyed doing it and would recommend anyone to have a go at doing doc mods to their speakers! Dave I will pop round again sometime with my amps and speakers if you like?

BillyBones
Great Britain

Unread post by BillyBones »

Hi Jim

I'd certainly like to hear your speakers sometime. Got loads on for the next few weeks so when it looks like I've got some free time ( and an empty house! * ) I'll be in touch and we can work something out. I'm heading ever closer towards a NVA pre/power system BTW.

* My family can't believe I want to listen to other peoples systems :grin:

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

Haha my partner thinks it's a bit sad that I like listening to other peoples kit. That's fine by me just let me know when you are free and we can sort something out. NVA pre/power is the future! :grin:. Having said that I really liked my ap20 and if you wanted a one box solution I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one.

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

Okay so I have had these speakers in my system for a couple of weeks now and I will think it is fair to say that the tweeter and mid/bass are now bedded in. The speakers have covered music duties and TV and film duties and they have proved to be extremely capable no matter what is being played through them. The most noticeable thing about them is how dynamic they are. They sound huge. To look at them you simply would not expect them to produce bass like they do. A few years ago I had a pair of kef reference model two floorstanders and these little Allison's produce much more satisfying bass. The bass is deep and tight and has plenty of impact but never at any point does it sound boomy or flat. I put this down to both the speakers design and also the quality of the doc mod driver which never sounds strained or flustered. The visaton tweeter is also worth a mention because it produces so much detail yet manages to remain smooth and natural. The biggest party trick of these speakers is their ability to disappear like nothing else. This was always a strong point of the Minstrels but these Allison's take it even further by adding huge dynamics to the mix. In all honesty I can see no reason to change these speakers as I feel they prove to shine even more with bigger NVA amps than my A40's. They could easily be a last speaker I have no doubt about that. I would urge anyone to try a pair if they get the chance and to carry out the doc mods. I'm sure the docs acrylic cubes are better still but that doesn't take away anything from these speakers because for me they are perfect. All in they have cost me around £400 and I can't think of anything else which could come close to them in my system for the kind of music I listen to. Thanks to the doc for providing his doc mod drivers and thanks to anyone who has had an input in my refurb thread. I know it had been a bit drawn out but for me the end product has been well worth the wait. Anyone near Manchester who is curious about what 'cube' speakers are all about is welcome to pop round and have a listen. Anyway I'm a happy bunny and I'm really glad I took a punt on these and followed the docs advice.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

A journey of learning is always worthwhile, if the result is so positive then that is pure pleasure not work. Now we need the knowledge of these mods, which don't only apply to cube speakers, to be passed on. PLEASE don't just enjoy them but get others to try the same. OK NVA Cubes because of the acrylic cases are better but unless you compare side by side you would not know as the mods are musically so satisfying.

The point for me of the mods is I have been banging on about speaker design for decades and very few people listened, they still think the bullshit likes of Harbeth and others have the goods, well when you hear these then that becomes laughable, so the more people who hear the better.