Soldering problem

A place for DIY project discussions.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Soldering problem

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Really you are doing some daft things, applying methods that are not for those jobs. DC is one note out or in (depending on which way the battery is connected) and stays there, so how do you expect that to go through a crossover, FFS what is a crossover for, to block DC and low frequencies :roll: So a battery put to a mid and treble crossover input would do nothing and nothing would come out the other end, so you managed some other fuck up. Were the amps connected when you did this, if so you have fucked the amps. You really do have to have at least a minimum knowledge of lecitrizity and what the hell is going on before you prod things around.

jammy395
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

Faffing about....... :naughty: :mrgreen:

To Faff.....

http://www.google.co.uk/#q=faffing

floydfan

Unread post by floydfan »

Doc you are correct I learn by the disaster route and I have lots of scars to prove it. :( I also have little understanding of the electronics of crossovers I only know that it somehow splits up the different feeds to the drivers.
The amps weren't connected. I learned that lesson, with expensive results, previously. I won't remind you as it would be better for your blood pressure and temper.
Anyway you have given me hope that I have not totally wrecked the speakers. I will carefully try to find out what has gone wrong, using my ancient non-NVA equipment.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

You can only measure any driver for ohms (resistance to DC, NOT impedance, as that requires a wide band signal) or continuity after the crossover network, not before it.

floydfan

Got it all sorted and am bi-amping the Dimension 8s with A30 and A 80. Sounds better but treble a bit too fierce. I have decided to put a bit more dope on the bass drivers and a little on the mid but as there are 6 drivers on each speaker to do it will take a little while.
I was wondering about the tweeter. I have put resistors on them when I initially balanced the drives and I am not sure if I will try to reassess them when bi-amping. Is it possible/advisable to dope a tweeter? Just wondering.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Yes you can but it tends to have more influence at very high frequencies, higher than where you problem is. A light spray with Plastidip will stop any ringing which was a problem with Goodmans tweeters, but what you really need is higher value padding resistors in series with the HF drivers.

floydfan

Will have a listen after the doping and if still not right I will beef up the padding resistors.