Been thanked: 0

Re: Life of Pi

Unread post by jammy395 »

Life of pi - A fine novel, a shit film.

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Terry: Volumio - Just tried activating the Software volume driver in the playback controls, it works . But I got a similar degradation in sound to what I heard on the Sonos.

Now I'll have to compare them with the Sonos' variable volume output also disabled. Something to do at the weekend.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

Fretless
Netherlands

Pi news: made an attempt to install Rune on the Pi/Hifiberry yesterday. Rune is a development of the same HQ audio project that produced Volumio and the interface screens look very similar, with Rune also displaying the cover of the album being played.

It would seem that Rune is more extensive that Volumio, with more options for tweaking audio performance and probably uses more of the system capacity, not that that should be a problem.

Installation is the same; download the OS, write it to a microSD card, insert that and power-up. However I wasn't able to get it to access my network files and gave up after a half-hour, and put the Volumio card back in to listen to some music. Maybe I'll read up a bit on Rune and try again later.

check Rune out ar http://www.runeaudio.com

In Volumio - the software volume control setting (where you can adjust the digital output volume) definitely causes a noticeable degradation in sound. The analogue Hifiberry DAC shouldn't suffer from this as it has a hardware-controlled volume adjustment. And there are options to disable these altogether for a fixed-volume line output (best quality).

Sonos probably does something comparable.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl

Lazmo
Has thanked: 0
Jamaica

Unread post by Lazmo »

Hi Fretless and Pi oneers :lol: I have just received an update notification for rune yesterday via sourceforge.net i might try that later if free time allows

On the subject of not being able to access your files from your network i have the same problem with one of my Pi's yet another one i use the Pi B+ can access all of my network files from my nas using volumio i am using volumio on both machines yet one refuses to give me full access to all my music files i have not been as active with these projects of late and i may just be a little rusty but both pi's are set up identical one works great the other is a problem i am still looking into this but it is frustrating and makes me question the hardware/software.
Why it should present only a limited number of files rather than none is a puzzler i will have a look online later to see if anyone else is suffering a similar problem.

thoughts here are it may be some kind of software bug being as one works and the other does not both are wired access to my router then manually configured to access the nas box.

If i find anything of use i will post it here .
The LARGE print giveth - and the small print taketh away.

Fretless
Netherlands

Thanks Lazmo - maybe we'll get it sorted as a team effort. Volumio works great, though, and looking at Rune is more a curiosity thing.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl

Fretless
Netherlands

jammy395 wrote:Life of pi - A fine novel, a shit film.
Partially agree with you there, Jammy. I loved the book as well and when it came to the film, found that a brave and visually stunning attempt to put the story on celluloid.

Same can possibly be said for David Mitchell's 'Cloud Atlas' a phenomenal and unique book - how the hell do you film that, with all its stories-within-stories? A film I have yet to see, but I'll try to keep an open mind when I do.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Is not the life of pi a black and white film about a man obsessed with 3.14 :lol: [ this is genuinely a film }

cloud atlas is a disappointing film , never heard of the book , the film is not half a clever as it thinks it is and a rather mundane explanation for the recurrence of the same people throughout history IMO .

Fretless
Netherlands

Daniel Quinn wrote:Is not the life of pi a black and white film about a man obsessed with 3.14 :lol: [ this is genuinely a film }

cloud atlas is a disappointing film , never heard of the book , the film is not half a clever as it thinks it is and a rather mundane explanation for the recurrence of the same people throughout history IMO .
Oh, that's not the Book/film 'Life of Pi' that I was referring to - it was about a young indian boy who ends up drifting in a lifeboat in the middle of the Indian Ocean with only a large Siberian Tiger for company.

'Cloud Atlas' the book, is a series of short stories that cut off suddenly until the middle of the book then they reappear in reverse order and are continued. Then you see that they refer (obliquely) to each other. Fascinating if you like that sort of thing (I do).

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl

Lazmo
Jamaica

Unread post by Lazmo »

Update to my last post !
I am of the opinion that my pi problem with one not supplying the same files as the other is possibly a network issue i have had little time to do much research (since the weather got really nice here) apart from reloading the volumio software on to the sd card again and remaking the network details etc on the 2nd pi unit to the same effect so from a fresh install i assume it to be network as it seems to count the same number of files then stops although the rotating update wheel at the bottom of the playback screen is still working further investigation will hopefully tell.
I have borrowed a PI 2 to use that a friend is loosing interest with i think so maybe i will try that just to rule out hardware issue's so when the weather breaks i will resume my tinkering :-? :geek:
The LARGE print giveth - and the small print taketh away.

walterwhite
Wales

Unread post by walterwhite »

I've been following this thread with interest, and have one of these on the way http://www.gravitech.us/duduala.html About £160 all in once the VATman has his pound of flesh.

I got my brother (who's pretty clued up about Linux) to order one as well, so it'll be an interesting challenge getting it all running via my android tablet and wi-fi. I like this option on the grounds that I wont have my PC whirring away in the background while I'm listening to the music, and no big monitor (I use a 50" plasma display [i.e. my telly] for running my PC) to distract me.

Could anyone tell me please, the best way of copying CD's to disk? The current plan is Exact Audio Copy running on Windows 8, using the PC's onboard CD drive, and converting to FLAC.

Perhaps it's not quite in the full DIY spirit of other members, but I'll be very interested to see how it squares up against my CD player. I'm hoping to be able to sell that for some funds towards a TT upgrade sometime this year. I'll report back on how it sounds when it's all up and running, or maybe before if I need to crib some help from other forum members :mrgreen:
Bi-amped A80's, P90sa, LS6, AP10h, Phono2/2 PSU's, BMU, SSC, SSP2, Raspberry pi/Durio Sound Dacs, Rega RP6/Dynavector 10x5, Royd RR2.