Life of Pi

A place for DIY project discussions.
_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: Life of Pi

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:59 pm £5 Chinese DAC with decent power supply is all you need as You should know.
I have two dacs in use in the workroom as it is and each has extra boxes strung onto them for power (one for the cheapo dac and two for the old QED which can now only work on one input). T'would be great to cut the rats nest down a little here, that's all and the Topping seems a good deal and could even be better with a larger linear supply.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

I have noticed that sample rates have a big bearing on digital SQ. The best sound I have ever experienced is from 192 khz streams. There is a marked improvement over 96 khz, which itself is usually very good.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

The same as all sources, we have no control, we use what we are given and make the best of it. I enjoy youtube because the equipment I use plays music not hi-fi bollocks, people tell me it is not good digital feed, some sound good some don't. I make ALL of them enjoyable, and as far as I am concerned that is what it is about - or should be.

montechristo358
Great Britain

Unread post by montechristo358 »

Is that because of wamplexrate or thatctheyctook more trouble with the mastering
Bedroom Rig
PiCorePlayer Squeezebox clone, Allo Boss Dac, NVA AP10H with Stepped Attenuator upgrade and external PSU, Audioquest Nightowl Cans, NVA mini BMU

Office Rig
PicorepLayer Squezeebox clone with HifiBerry DIGI+, NVA SSP Digital, Arcam AV9. NVA SSC, NVA AP10P, NVA LS5, NVA Cubettes, NVA Mini BMU

Kitchen Rig
PicorepLayer Squezeebox clone with HifiBerry DAC+, NVA SSC, NVA P50, Project AMPBox, Sonance Ceiling Speakers

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Its none of my business, my job is to make the best of what I am using, which I do. If I like it I listen, if I don't I don't.

keepitsimplestupid
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by keepitsimplestupid »

Yes, I'm obviously massively missing out simply by the fact that I'm enjoying building all my own hifi for my own pleasure and to fulfil my own varied, technical and emotional needs. I'd be more than happy to do a blind level matched bake off with any other dac once I've completed building the next one, that's the only valid way to compare bits of audio without introducing bias and the only way one can really discern if items do indeed sound different.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

None of this was aimed at you, building your own can never be criticised. I used the excuse for a dig at the slurpers per usual.

keepitsimplestupid

noted.

On the subject, has anyone else noticed how we've come full circle on USB. When first introduced it was crap, then async came and it was the digital panacea, nothing could touch it, cd was dead all other transfer protocols were dog shit, so the audio press positioned it. Now we've come back round again and CD is once again in favour and USB is now less than perfect once again. Funny how this goes round in selling cycles, isn't it?

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

If you're wanting to use DSD or other high-volume formats then SPDIF coax just isn't capable of managing the necessary bandwidth. USB links are.

Looking now at Allo's USBridge device which is a USB-output Audiophile streaming add-on for their Sparky (sort of Pi board).

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

keepitsimplestupid

1. Up to 768KHz full range I2S support;

2. DSD64,128,256,512,1024;

3. built-in 768KHz DoP decoder to enable RaspberryPi native DSD play back up to DSD256;

4. Isolator board will be included;

5. Clock board (isolated) will also be integrated, works with interchangeable XOs through standard sockets or adapters;

6. Supports full range of XO frequencies from 11.2894 to 98.3040MHz;

7. Has two DC inputs for both isolated clean power and RaspberryPi power;

8. Has an additional non-isolated GPIO connector to make DAC controller working in isolated mode;

9. Works with good 5V linear power through on-board low noise LDO or pure direct 3.3V power from ultra-capacitor or LifePO4 battery power supply;

10 Works with all RPi DAC HAT and external high-end DAC at synchronized master clock mode to remove jitter;

11. Optional external display panel with adjustable delay time;

12. DIY friendly with options and flexibility.