Life of Pi

A place for DIY project discussions.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Life of Pi

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Ah then I agree with you. Apart from reality can even hit those people if they try and open their minds, but I wont hold my breath.

Anyway, my fault we have pushed this thread too far off topic. Perhaps a thread that is in a more appropriate forum room can actually break through this confusion some people seem to have about music and hi-fi being different things, that *can* converge but often don't..

Welder
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Welder »

Thankfully I've got a stereo system and not a Hi Fi. :lol:
Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

TroutFisher
Great Britain

Unread post by TroutFisher »

It seems hearing deficiency is being revealed here. Over the years I have found there are many forum contributors who have deficient hearing and some go on and post about sound quality of a system. If you exhibit at shows, it is gobsmacking how many punters come into rooms wearing NHS hearing aids who want to comment on their impression on the sound they hear. I take these observations with a pinch of salt. They are valueless.

Actually, I think this problem is far wider spread than many recognise. By example, I have good hearing up to 17KHz. I have listened to conventional speakers that have apparently been doc modded and also recently to cubes. I appreciate the listening environments were not ideal but none of them rocked my boat. One needs to have a little think about the design situation. If the designer who rates the product is getting on in years, how reliable is that designers ears? I suggest it is unreliable, but of course, everyone needs to make personal assessment. What more can you do?

Then again, if the punter has deficient hearing, they are more likely to invest in the speakers that review well with published test results, relying on the objectivity of the review.

Hi-Fi is generally an ageing hobby patronised by ageing people. Many contributors to related forums are elderly and consequently have much reduced hearing ability. Even the likes of Martin Collum’s must by now be suffering a degree of hearing loss as he must be over 60 now. Likewise with several prominent contributors here.

Yep, it’s a shame but it is a fact. As we get older, almost everyone’s hearing ability diminishes correspondingly. I would much prefer a sound review written by a young man than a much older one. I suppose the trick is finding a young reviewer who is totally impartial. That maybe the greatest challenge.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Complete nonsense IMO obviously based on an agenda, why not just state your agenda now and get it over with.

It is very simple equation, a persons music is a persons music, a persons quality of hearing is individual and may well change over time, SO WHAT - reality is what it is, we all have to judge with what we have and what we want. According to your logic there should be a reviewer selected technically on their measured hearing and their opinion then becomes God. Absolute nonsense and complete lack of understanding of the process of a person and their energetic reaction to stimulus. Hi-Fi quality or even musical recording quality are relatively unimportant if the piece of music at that moment pushes your buttons, be it even from a portable radio. The quality of recording and reproduction is the icing on the cake of the individuals experience, if all they have is a hearing aid then that is all they have, they can still make decisions, or are you saying they shouldn't be allowed to.

I find your attitude arrogant and offensive to my members and I am using ad hominem in my admin role here. I am not interested in your opinion of brief listens as it can just reinforces prejudice, but I also do not deny them, but I question the motive and the agenda (this is becoming plain to other members as you have seen commented on) - the only way to judge anything correctly is in your room in your system with your music, over time. Everything else is partial knowledge.

There will always be choice thank goodness, not hi-fi dictatorship, and what throws light on the nonsense you are pursuing is that choice. If a product is bad and only for deaf people then if there aren't enough deaf people then the product and company ends, commercial Darwinism. The bad product or good product that cannot find customers fail. Are you saying your opinion is more important than that.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Defecient hearing suggests yours is super dupper hearing. How do i get myself some of that.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Perhaps he sells it, and that is his agenda.

Welder
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Welder »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:09 pm Perhaps he sells it, and that is his agenda.
If it's not too expensive I'll take form 12Khz to 20Khz please. :)
Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Meanwhile, back in Pi-land ....

One of the side-effects of putting an improved Pi player into the main system is that there is then a ripple-down effect of the players in other places getting upgraded: Workdesk player gets a HIifiBerry Digi+ PRO to replace the standard Digi+ that was there. And the Allo DigiOne goes into the headphone setup in the sitting-room.

It is interesting to be reminded of the characteristics and differences in these units; the Digi+ PRO has a fresh, clear sound with better imaging and detail that its standard version. The DigiOne has a sense of solidity and easiness with a deeper soundstage than the Digi+ PRO.

Only trouble is that I end up wandering from room to room wanting to listen to them all. :doh:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Fretless wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:47 pm ...the Digi+ PRO has a fresh, clear sound with better imaging and detail that its standard version. ...
It's interesting to 'hear' you say that. I've just ordered a "Pro" to replace my standard version.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

You will be pleasantly surprised. :grin: :guiness;

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ