Life of Pi

A place for DIY project discussions.
montechristo358
Has thanked: 0
Great Britain

Re: Life of Pi

Unread post by montechristo358 »

David Brook wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:55 pm
Karnevil9 wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:54 pm no money in it?
I don't or ever would sell a pi even if there was, as I think it sounds shit personally.
a rather sweeping statement for something so dependent on PSU, Software and DAC board choice
Bedroom Rig
PiCorePlayer Squeezebox clone, Allo Boss Dac, NVA AP10H with Stepped Attenuator upgrade and external PSU, Audioquest Nightowl Cans, NVA mini BMU

Office Rig
PicorepLayer Squezeebox clone with HifiBerry DIGI+, NVA SSP Digital, Arcam AV9. NVA SSC, NVA AP10P, NVA LS5, NVA Cubettes, NVA Mini BMU

Kitchen Rig
PicorepLayer Squezeebox clone with HifiBerry DAC+, NVA SSC, NVA P50, Project AMPBox, Sonance Ceiling Speakers

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Kid Creole wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:48 pm True though......!!
What is true is that I have been a hifi nut for almost 4 decades and primarily focussing my interests on computer / file-based audio for over 15 years.

And you ... ?

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro & AudioQuest

Fretless
Netherlands

Thinking that it was time to update the Moode OS on one of my installations I discovered that this particular operating system is now absurdly complicated. Firstly needing to implement some other Linux drive system on the Pi and then incorporating Moode onto that. Well it was just too incomprehensible for me - and I used to have a 'proper job' programming IBM mainframes so I ain't no computer numpty either. Ridiculous.

However, my frustrations led me to the discovery that Volumio (VERY nice and easy to install, thankyou very much) has a multi-room capability. You load your SD card with a fresh Volumio image, stick it in a Pi and look up the IP address of the device on your computer. Then Volumio does an intitial setup whic lets you choose an individual name for each player ('Lounge', 'Kitchen', 'Toilet'. etc.) then you can run specific devices from the web-browser UI.

And Volumio still sounds way better than Moode.... :character-beavisbutthead:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Office:

Pianist~Envy
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain

Unread post by Pianist~Envy »

Loving the Pi playback. Unsurprisingly large improvement on my budget Marantz, which although bought for a bargain, was on the harsh/bright side.

Running Volumio. Great. Easy to access streaming network. Will hook up a local USB harddrive when I get a decent power supply or cave in and buy a powered drive.

Question: have you had any issues with metadata? It's not a major issue but I've not debugged: 1) Thumbnails for tracks/albums not appearing (getting the generic file icon), and 2) Playing with the tags in Volumio to arrange more effectively.

Number 1 is more of a concern because the other I can play with. I'm sure there are articles out there if I search but wondered if you had the same thing? Might be PC based or via dBpoweramp settings, but I've been careful to ensure all meta is available and correct/updated when ripping.
"Simplicity is the final achievement. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art." ~ Frederic Chopin

Amps/cables: NVA P50sa (48 step), A40 mk3, LS6, SSP
Digi/source: ARCAM CDS50
PaS: Troels Gravesen Scanspeak Discovery 3-Way Classic (homemade)

Music lover and piano dork.

Fretless
Netherlands

WAV files won't have tagging data and you will need to access them via the folders on your drive. Simple to organise those into a logical system though.

What I also do is save the album cover as 'folder.jpg' in each album map. Volumio displays them as thumbnails.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Office:

Toontrev

Unread post by Toontrev »

Hi Pianist
Couldn't help but notice 'Troels Gravesen Scanspeak Discovery 3-Way Classic' . That's some build you've taken on - looked that up recently and its complicated for sure, any chance you could let us know how its going ?

Pianist~Envy
Great Britain

Fretless wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:31 pm WAV files won't have tagging data and you will need to access them via the folders on your drive. Simple to organise those into a logical system though.

What I also do is save the album cover as 'folder.jpg' in each album map. Volumio displays them as thumbnails.
Thanks Fretless, this is mightily helpful.
"Simplicity is the final achievement. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art." ~ Frederic Chopin

Pianist~Envy
Great Britain

Toontrev wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:47 pm Hi Pianist
Couldn't help but notice 'Troels Gravesen Scanspeak Discovery 3-Way Classic' . That's some build you've taken on - looked that up recently and its complicated for sure, any chance you could let us know how its going ?
Can do. Cabs are built and lined and crossovers almost finished. Next onto cutting baffles, mounting drivers and final assembly. If I get a mo at the weekend I'll start a thread and post some pics.

Lazmo
Jamaica

Unread post by Lazmo »

[quote=Fretless post_id=180790 time=1538468230 user_id=28297]
Thinking that it was time to update the Moode OS on one of my installations I discovered that this particular operating system is now absurdly complicated. Firstly needing to implement some other Linux drive system on the Pi and then incorporating Moode onto that. Well it was just too incomprehensible for me - and I used to have a 'proper job' programming IBM mainframes so I ain't no computer numpty either. Ridiculous.

Hi Fretless like yourself i had an earlier version of Moode OS working on a Rpi unit using the new method of first install Raspbian jessie lite OS' That initial install went ok but i had not used it in a while so decided to try the same process to update it' i gave up after it crashed 3 times on installing.
If you do wish to use Moode in the future it is possible it maybe added to Diet Pi Op's i seem to remember talk a little while ago of this being the case' maybe drop the development team a email to enquire.
The LARGE print giveth - and the small print taketh away.

Lazmo
Jamaica

Unread post by Lazmo »

oops reply added to quote .

I do prefer volumio myself to moode the multiroom function being a favourite as i can control all pi's using volumio from my tablet main room' headphone system' etc :grin: a very versatlie op's system
The LARGE print giveth - and the small print taketh away.