Raspberry Pi Power supply

A place for DIY project discussions.
terrybooth
Great Britain

Re: Raspberry Pi Power supply

Unread post by terrybooth »

Firebug1 wrote:Terry, have you tried i/c other way round? Would that make margin bigger towards diy psu?
The arrangement for this little match was dictated by the cases I had to two Pis in. The one that I have in the main system would take the Micro usb cable and that had the SSP in it. Now me and SSP have a history :oops: so I don't like messing with it. That dictated the way I connected the ICs and the PSUs. In any case, I thought that if I found the MkII PSU sounded better despite having the marginally inferior interconnect then it was definitely better.

Listening last night to sources like Dusty in Memphis and Alison Moyet 'The Voice', I didn't think the difference so pronounced but I was getting tired.

To answer the question, I would expect that the margin would be larger the other way around. I may try that to verify (requires a bit of 'adjustment' to a Raspberry Pi case). I could try plugging both PSUs into the BMU (I've made a little 4 gang BS546 to BS1363 extension cable) - this is probably a better test since it eliminates the BMU effect to a larger degree.

Dave, I've actually wondered about a BMU to a BMU since I want to lay a dedicated spur in nice fat cable (cooker cable) to my listening room bith BS546 sockets. I think I have room near the distibution box to put in an Airlink type BMU. Building the BMU into the PSU itself I don't have enough knowledge to contemplate. I've got a Torroid which takes 240 v to 2 x 9v AC and then a little Chinese PSU (Audiowind) which takes the 9v AC and converts to 5v DC (which is what the Pi needs). I bought a torroid with two secondary windings because I was contemplating separating the power supply of the DAC bit from teh power supply of the computer bit.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Firebug1
Finland

Unread post by Firebug1 »

In any case, I thought that if I found the MkII PSU sounded better despite having the marginally inferior interconnect then it was definitely better.
That’s a good point.
Rega by Michael Lim\Teac\ASR\NVA\
SA Mantra30\Audeze LCD-2 closed.
...the Gods you worship are steel, at the altar of rock 'n' roll you kneel...

Lazmo
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Jamaica

Unread post by Lazmo »

Terry It's good to hear you seem to be making some positive progress with the pi power source project i think it's safe to say and probably known by most that the wall wart power supply is not the best source of power for anything hifi and a dedicated linear type supply will always be better but by the very nature of the pi being a tiny little thing it does make me wonder that component wise would it be up to making best use of anything better supply wise .

As it is built as a computer and primarily manafactured to get kids in to writing code and computer science it was a revelation to me that this little piece of kit could ever produce music the way it does and it is only via people who take the time to tinker and come up with these idea's that we all benefit personally everytime i get to play around with mine ( previous recent problems accepted ) i am still amazed at what it is capable of and the possibilities seem endless for this little computer.
The LARGE print giveth - and the small print taketh away.

terrybooth
Great Britain

I've related yesterday's experiment with the Pletnev/Mozart piece with the same Pi (the one with the SSP) first powered from Wall Wart/BMU then from my PSU/BMU. My impression is similar to yesterday, the 'improved' PSU is more musical in ways I tried to express yesterday.

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Terry or any of the other Pi fans: haa anyone tried a Pi 2B, with the quad-core processor that apparently is 14x faster than the B+ ?

I am finding the B+ to be rather slow, certainly when updating the music database in Volumio.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

terrybooth
Great Britain

Nope. I'm still on the old Pi mostly (I have a B+/IQAudio combination).
Yes. Reindexing the database does take a bit of time, but I kick that off after I've ripped CDs (or downloaded music) which I tend to do a few hours before a listening session.

Volumio 2.0 (whenever it comes out) may be faster.

The reason I'm still on the old Pi is that I can power it through a USB A connection - this doesn't seem to work on later PIs..

Back to the OP. What I want to try next is to replace the AudioWind PSU with a PSU made of separate components (which, if I've understood correctly, is the Doc's policy). But before that, I've ordered a little DAC board, to experiment (again ) with powering the DAC separately.

Fretless
Netherlands

There is an announcement about a new Hifiberry DAC+ PRO board. Featuring gold-plated terminals, improved jitter clocking and hardware volume control. It is also designed to be hacked for individual power supplies. Info on their site www.hifiberry.com

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl

terrybooth
Great Britain

Fretless wrote:There is an announcement about a new Hifiberry DAC+ PRO board. Featuring gold-plated terminals, improved jitter clocking and hardware volume control. It is also designed to be hacked for individual power supplies. Info on their site http://www.hifiberry.com
Cheers. Ordered. Looks like I shall be a busy bee.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Well, the HifiBerry DAC+ Pro Card is here, assembled and working. It has (actually like the original board) connectors marked for +5v and ground but to use this you have to take a resistor off the board - so I'm not attempting that yet. Initial impression are that it does have a different sound to it. But then that may just be me playing music in the middle of the day rather then in the evening or being a bit hopeful about it. So, I'll attempt a better comparison at some point when I've had a much longer listen.

Fretless
Netherlands

:epop: :grin:

My Pi 2B is in the post.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl