Doc Mod Drivers

A place for DIY project discussions.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Doc Mod Drivers

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

To help with your Doc Mod Speaker Projects I have modded drive units I can make available. 5.25 inch £50, 6.5 inch £60, 8 inch £70, and 12 inch £90, Tweeters £25 (all each). These are the drivers I use in Cubes apart from the 12" which were for a Goodmans Magnum K project that I haven't had time for.

These driver can be used full range with no crossover as the cones have been doped.

Drivers may not be exact fit replacements as it depends on what they are replacing, so a little fettling may be required to the cabinets of your project.

Daniel Quinn

Re: Doc Mod Drivers

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Me have a pair of these and me very happy .

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Me nearly sat on them when the dope was drying...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

I'm waiting in the wings here Doc, simply because I'm having such a whale of a time with the doped Vifa's in my Doc modded AP2's :grin:

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

brit-pop
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by brit-pop »

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:Me nearly sat on them when the dope was drying...
Nowt worse than wet dope eh? :mrgreen:

Daniel Quinn

brit-pop wrote:
_D_S_J_R_ wrote:Me nearly sat on them when the dope was drying...
Nowt worse than wet dope eh? :mrgreen:
trust you are referring to the speakers :lol:

Daniel Quinn

Alfi wrote:I'm waiting in the wings here Doc, simply because I'm having such a whale of a time with the doped Vifa's in my Doc modded AP2's :grin:

Alfi.
There are much better imo. I put this down to the kevlar driver/magnet size , but that is me extrapolating from my limited experience not anything to be taken as gospel

my ap 2's replaced doc modified wharfedales 10.3 and whilst they were better , I missed the speed and dynamics of the wharfedales . I only listen to vinyl and rock music - no classical at all . The jpw 8inc driver offered better bass and scale but it seemed a bit slow as if the musicians were a tad tired .

they are for me much better in every aspect . They do take some time to run in though. When i fist put them in peter gabriels voice was so thin it sounded like he had been on helium .

now i am so happy with them I have no desire to tinker anymore , except maybe with the tweeters :lol:

They are not a perfect fit being slightly smaller [5mm or so ] They fit the whole perfectly and there is no problem with them being airtight it is just that you will need to fill the old holes and screw or drill in new holes .

well worth it though.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

As a quick fix to having no Cubes until I order some more cabs I bought a cheap pair of cabs on ebay from what in my opinion is about the crappiest loudspeaker company of the ones that think they are special i.e. B&W. In this case DM303. So apart from the wood of the cabs and the plastic :x of the baffle everything else will be Doc Mod. I have just loaded the base of the cabs with 150mm x 150mm x 20mm steel blocks, now waiting for 6mm plate for the sides and top. The front will have to be different solution once the drivers are fitted, as in pouring resin or compound of some sort as it is a moulding with lots of hollows.

So in future I can compare Doc Mods with Cubes.

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

I'm currently using JPW Mini Monitors. The very same pair Wallace steel modded for me last year!

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

My Doc modded AP2's are seriously impressing friends, family and customers, they cannot believe the clarity and authority and because of this, I like to think NVA will end up benefitting too when they ask "what cables are you using" ? A'hem! Doc's of course I chirp! :grin:

Being a third party service provider myself, I often end up recommending other like minded third party manufacturers especially NVA, AO & Avondale. If you feel I'm shilling here Doc feel free to remove this paragraph.

Alfi.
These users thanked the author Alfi for the post:
CycleCoach (Mon May 31, 2021 2:07 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.