Doc Mod Drivers

A place for DIY project discussions.
Fretless
Netherlands

Re: Doc Mod Drivers

Unread post by Fretless »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:As a quick fix to having no Cubes until I order some more cabs I bought a cheap pair of cabs on ebay from what in my opinion is about the crappiest loudspeaker company of the ones that think they are special i.e. B&W. In this case DM303. So apart from the wood of the cabs and the plastic :x of the baffle everything else will be Doc Mod. I have just loaded the base of the cabs with 150mm x 150mm x 20mm steel blocks, now waiting for 6mm plate for the sides and top. The front will have to be different solution once the drivers are fitted, as in pouring resin or compound of some sort as it is a moulding with lots of hollows.

So in future I can compare Doc Mods with Cubes.
Keep posting this Doc, I have thought about doing something like with with the Sony's I got a while back - cabs are good, drivers not. Curious about your new pre-doped drivers - I assume these are meant to run with no crossover.
Would top-mounting a mid/bass with forward-firing tweeter give a Cube-like soundfield or do you need a specifically prooportioned cab do that?

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro & AudioQuest

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Once I have the old IMF Compact 1's re-foamed and working (far too rare to Doc mod), I think I'd like to try some AP2's to do up, as I liked the AP1's a friend once had (a bit strong up top I recall) and the drivers are available in case of my accidents.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: DM303

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I was thinking of the baby DM302, which weren't bad as I remember. The inside face of the moulding looked like a dense egg carton, supposedly to help break up internal reflections I think. The 303 isn't one I remember, but here's a test report on some -

http://www.soundstage.com/measurements/bw_dm303/
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

AshM750.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by AshM750. »

Hi Doc, Before I start spraying this plastidip on my drivers, I dont have to pretreat the drivers with anything do I?

Just checking ;)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Nope.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:Once I have the old IMF Compact 1's re-foamed and working (far too rare to Doc mod), I think I'd like to try some AP2's to do up, as I liked the AP1's a friend once had (a bit strong up top I recall) and the drivers are available in case of my accidents.
Interesting concept as it suggests a loudspeaker as merit and value premised on rarity over the sound that comes out of it. Seems arse about tit to me.

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Daniel Quinn wrote:
_D_S_J_R_ wrote:Once I have the old IMF Compact 1's re-foamed and working (far too rare to Doc mod), I think I'd like to try some AP2's to do up, as I liked the AP1's a friend once had (a bit strong up top I recall) and the drivers are available in case of my accidents.
Interesting concept as it suggests a loudspeaker as merit and value premised on rarity over the sound that comes out of it. Seems arse about tit to me.
I feel the same as DSJR with my Arcams. Proceedingly very cautiously there as I'm scared shitless that I'll damage them.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro & AudioQuest

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Worshiping false gods :roll:

The only speakers you should be worried about doing it to is the ones where people are stupid enough to give vast amounts of money for like blind deaf sheep. I think the problem is "letting go" of mind sets that have become too ingrained. I am sure that is why dave wont do it. I would love to see the shock and horror on his face when a pair of his beloved Harbeths are shown up for what they really are. :mrgreen:

AshM750.
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by AshM750. »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Worshiping false gods :roll:
Harbeth, Rogers, Spendor etc :bow-blue:

:lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

And watch how they all develop a sneering superior snobbish attitude to try and reinforce the delusion.

It is all :Bllocks: marketing, nothing more or less.