SONY CDP XB-930 Istari mods

A place for DIY project discussions.
guydarryl

SONY CDP XB-930 Istari mods

Unread post by guydarryl »

Not really DIY, as I didn't do it:

I Recently mentioned the 930 on another thread and Istari Knight was kind enough to mention the possibility of improving the sound through some output/analogue? board modifications.

To cut a long story short; I am crap with a soldering iron, so James offered to do the work for me.
The modified board arrived today and it soon became obvious that the man knows what he is talking about.

I had listened to David Gray: "White ladder" prior to the mods and found the emphasis of David Gray's "nasal vocals" very fatiguing, although I was impressed by the inherent detail delivered by the Sony.
After mod's the Sony is still delivering the detail, but now the vocals are far more natural.

Listening to a variety of CD's I continue to be impressed with the quality of this player post mods.
In itself, my willingness to listen to several CD's in succession is quite a feat, as I have only really used CD in the past when no vinyl version was available (had a great morning listening to Bruce Springsteen: "we shall overcome - the Seeger sessions" :dance: . £1.50 charity shop purchase).

James also fitted op amp sockets and a couple of different op amps for me to try out, so when I get around to trying them I will post again.

Thanks James, really very appreciative of your help.
If you feel inclined to do so I think that other members would benefit from your posting details of what to do in the way of modifications.

Guy.
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1
Sony cdp xb930, Alessandro ms1

istari_knight
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: SONY CDP XB-930 Istari mods

Unread post by istari_knight »

:oops: Thanks Guy, think nothing of it.

I replaced the I/V opamps with OPA2134PA & the output filter opamps with socketed LM4562. Replaced the feedback capacitors with polystyrenes, decoupled the opamps with Wima films, bypassed the output stage power supply capacitors with films & bypassed the coupling caps with Wima's [I was going to remove them entirely but we decided against it due to the lack of coupling caps in the Guy's amp/s].

The above mods cost about £10 in parts and take around 45 minutes to complete... If your organised [I wasn't :grin: ]

Will be interesting to hear how they settle in over the next week or so.

The Permed One

Unread post by The Permed One »

Good machines them Permy got a UK Special Edition version of it.

:dance:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

It is a pleasure to have someone with real skill and understanding and not just some loudmouthed know nothing who seemingly populate the other forums. It seems to me that AoS had him before Muccus pulled one of his usual ego nonsenses to drive him off, well their loss our gain.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Amazing how some of these things are production costed to the ha'penny. The designers do deserve credit though, for doing a basically good player that can be tweaked a little further.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Once again you give them more credit than they deserve. Find me a white coat who actually uses his ears *in preference* and I will show you a hens tooth.

The Permed One

Ballerks to measurements :roll: Lugholes are the best measurements..

James PM me tell me what you done mate

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

My ears are the least reliable part of me - of the parts I'd admit to online anyway - cough... I would NEVER EVER trust my ears alone as they deceive me when they're both unblocked and working half decently! As for when my left ear decides to bung itself up yet again.........
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

istari_knight

Unread post by istari_knight »

The Permed One wrote:Ballerks to measurements :roll: Lugholes are the best measurements..

Will do, I'll have to dig out the service manual so I can give you the correct part numbers... Bare with me !

The Permed One

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:My ears are the least reliable part of me - of the parts I'd admit to online anyway - cough... I would NEVER EVER trust my ears alone as they deceive me when they're both unblocked and working half decently! As for when my left ear decides to bung itself up yet again.........
Yeh but your the one listerning to your stereo not anyone else :dance:
istari_knight wrote:
The Permed One wrote:Ballerks to measurements :roll: Lugholes are the best measurements..

Will do, I'll have to dig out the service manual so I can give you the correct part numbers... Bare with me !
Nice one James..