NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: To MOD Or Not To MOD ?????

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

All Harbeths have acquired this over inflated price tag because they have convinced people they are the modern holder of the BBC magic - my arse :x what magic :roll:

AshM750.
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by AshM750. »

I could almost buy a set of Cubes for that! Where did all the hype come from? Was it just because its BBC or something?

Bought 3 of these last night, I hope its enough.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271777839525? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Here is another example of over inflated price stupidity

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HARBETH-P3ESR ... 2c970c01f9

I would love someone to Doc mod these just to put the company in perspective!!

They *live* on saying they are the inheritors of BBC magic :roll:

:bulls1:
I would too Doc, but the P3ESR are probably the best of the "bad bunch" are they not and a pricey pair to start the mods? However, I would be confident your mods would improve them no end for the music enthusiasts (some of us are converts) on this forum.

But when you can turn a pair of AP2 into something quite special why spend shed loads on P3ESR's?

There again it maybe worth it just to prove a turd really can be polished! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alfi
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

Welder

Unread post by Welder »

Some auto sound deadening mastic between the steel plates and enclosures wouldn’t go amiss. I would try a brace from front to back between the two drivers.

I’m still amazed at the appalling standard of enclosure builds, particularly with some of the so called hi end speakers. As for the BBC style tuned resonating enclosures. :doh:

I’m all for modding. My way is to aim for as flat a response first and then try to tune to the room and my hearing, but just aiming for a sound that puts a grin on your face is plenty good enough.
Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

AshM750.

Welder wrote:Some auto sound deadening mastic between the steel plates and enclosures wouldn’t go amiss. I would try a brace from front to back between the two drivers.
Is this what you mean ?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DYNAMAT-Sound ... 5d3fdcf56d

I was thinking about puting a wooden brace in the cabinet from side to side, not front to back, shall I go front to back then?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Welder wrote:Some auto sound deadening mastic between the steel plates and enclosures wouldn’t go amiss.
That would completely negate what we are trying to do.

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

I now have an unbearable itching desire to hear/mod/convert/destroy all the speakers I can find. The total focus on small boxes in the recent past meant that I had forgotten about two big wooden things collecting dust in a distant corner of the farmhouse.

Having chased away the spiders that were setting up a colony complete with restaurant and swimming-pool around them, I had a look:

These are AKAI SA-1200 dating from the late middle-ages (1970's). The woofer is huge, about 12". These were last in action about 5 years ago, used purely for background noise and I can only remember that they produce a very full & warm sound that is lacking in detail.
However I've never heard them properly set up or through a good amp - so that might be something I'll do this weekend.

Any of the vintage speaker fans out there know anything about these, and are they worth considering for a mod-project ?
Last edited by Fretless on Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

AshM750.

MOD away Fretless, I think this is the new fashion! I am already lineing up my next MOD and havnt even started my first :lol:
Ive got the Quad 11s on the stands running through the A40s, I dont care what anyone says they are great little speakers, in fact I would say they are on a similar level as my Doublets with slightly less detail and with a slightly coughing bass, musical and smooth though. I put it down to the great amplification ! I will be Modding these at some stage :grin:
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
Welder wrote:Some auto sound deadening mastic between the steel plates and enclosures wouldn’t go amiss.
That would completely negate what we are trying to do.
Not a good idea then :|
Last edited by AshM750. on Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Here is another example of over inflated price stupidity

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HARBETH-P3ESR ... 2c970c01f9

I would love someone to Doc mod these just to put the company in perspective!!

They *live* on saying they are the inheritors of BBC magic :roll:

:bulls1:

You may know a lot more than I (as you told me in no uncertain terms the other day), but in this case you're way off the beam!

Firstly, the driver is a totally different and far better thing than the BBC could ever manage and the whole sound is actually different to the LS3/5A that isn't really its ancestor, apart from number of drive units and box size. I've heard these ESR's plenty of times, but I don't believe you have Doc. Have a go at the bullshit please, but not the product, which is actually rather good at communicating music to the listener. It's not a raucous screamer, which seem to go down well in these parts, but it's really good at disappearing from the music, no matter how complex it is inside.

Rant over - leave Harbeth alone. By the way (Doc and DQ), I respect and support the products, having known the brand since its inception (Harbeth products were never bought by the BBC in the early Harwood days), but currently, I've fallen out big time with their owner, who threw some unjustified (IMO) ad hominem my way on their forum a few months ago.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...