JPW ML710

A place for DIY project discussions.
Daniel Quinn

Re: JPW ML710

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

that is unusual , that is a 3650 HZ frequnecy overlap in the most sensitive mid range frequencies , RFC would have a heart attack .

thats measurements for you ;)

Macca
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Macca »

It would depend on what level the drivers are operating at. The tweeter will probably be way down in level at 350 Hz, likewise the mid-bass at 4Khz.

The USP of these seems to be the phase coherence but if you simplify the xovers you're going to lose that property.

Daniel Quinn

stop being unnecessarily pedantic , if they have any output at all between 350 hz and 4k then it is still an overlap , but i take your point ;) .

The bass driver goes up to 4k with a x-over , ripe for doping that it is :lol:

istari_knight

Unread post by istari_knight »

Crossovers are 3rd order 18dB/octave so yes, steep slopes.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I am still waiting for someone to take the stuffing out of their speaker *ANY SPEAKER* and post here (or anywhere) that they have put it back in because it sounds crap.

I will give you another example that in fact led me to this epiphany in the early 1980's (yes I have kept it to myself that long, though I might have told Jimminy Hughes and forgotten :mrgreen: ). Quad 57s have wadding like carpet underlay behind the drive plates. Remove it and the speaker really sings and opens up.

istari_knight

Macca wrote:The USP of these seems to be the phase coherence but if you simplify the xovers you're going to lose that property.
Trust me, I won't be doing anything irreversible with these... To be honest I'm scared of cocking them up they're so well balanced as is. I now completely understand where you were coming from when I was urging you to mod the Akai's and you weren't having any of it :grin:
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:I am still waiting for someone to take the stuffing out of their speaker *ANY SPEAKER* and post here (or anywhere) that they have put it back in because it sounds crap.

I will give you another example that in fact led me to this epiphany in the early 1980's (yes I have kept it to myself that long, though I might have told Jimminy Hughes and forgotten :mrgreen: ). Quad 57s have wadding like carpet underlay behind the drive plates. Remove it and the speaker really sings and opens up.
Aye, it only takes 5 minutes and is 100% reversible. If you don't like it just put it back how you found it ! The first one's I tried it on were a pair of Goodmans Magnum SL's with that thick yellow mattress foam inside, now that really does kill the sound.

AshM750.

Unread post by AshM750. »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:I am still waiting for someone to take the stuffing out of their speaker *ANY SPEAKER* and post here (or anywhere) that they have put it back in because it sounds crap.

Might try it With the Ruark Talismans tomorrow ;)

istari_knight

I've been thinking about mass loading the cabinet walls... We know steel works well but are there any other perhaps more inexpensive materials we can utilise for the same purpose ? Steel lining a 7L cabinet is one thing but a 40L cabinet is something entirely different !

What immediately sprang to mind was ceramic floor tiles, they are heavy and relatively cheap [£6.40 for a pack of eight 400x400x8mm at B&Q currently]. Using these would increase cabinet weight by at least 15kg... Just a thought :think:

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

James, how do you sleep at night man :mrgreen:

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Daniel Quinn

istari_knight wrote:I've been thinking about mass loading the cabinet walls... We know steel works well but are there any other perhaps more inexpensive materials we can utilise for the same purpose ? Steel lining a 7L cabinet is one thing but a 40L cabinet is something entirely different !

What immediately sprang to mind was ceramic floor tiles, they are heavy and relatively cheap [£6.40 for a pack of eight 400x400x8mm at B&Q currently]. Using these would increase cabinet weight by at least 15kg... Just a thought :think:
I have used these in my wharfedales and they are now in the family room , they were expensive kitchen tiles but we had loads left over . very hard cermaic and very heavy with a shiny white surface .

I figured that as they a had glossy glaze it would be the same a steel plate :lol:

the doc may have other ideas ;)