The Linn Kan crossover wasn't as simple as some suggested

A place for DIY project discussions.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: The Linn Kan crossover wasn't as simple as some suggeste

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

The Kan came about as an accident / after thought for two reasons. Linn dealers were asking for a cheaper speaker than the Sara, Chartwell who had a LS3/5a manufacture permission went bust leaving their cabinet maker (Scottish based) with a a load of cabinets. Linn bought them for a song, put the Kef drivers in and literally threw a simple crossover in overnight. It didn't take any prisoners :roll: it shouted and stood out in the crowd so the IvorT bullshit / brainwash could come in to convince everyone that a dog turd was really a gold coin.

istari_knight
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by istari_knight »

Once upon a time I was a dyed in the wool "flat earther" [funny how its derogative yet so many of us took pride in it :doh: ] but even so Kans always sounded awful... Come to think of it I can't name a single good Linn speaker :think:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Isobariks *could* be good fun.

istari_knight

Unread post by istari_knight »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Isobariks *could* be good fun.
Which one's PMS or DMS ? Admittedly I've only heard the passive one's but they were driven by a top end Naim system... Sounded like the youth club disco !

The late 80's / early 90's Nexus & Keilidh were really bad to my ears - I know some love them, my ex father in law is going to be buried with his.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I had an early set of prototypes before they thought about active, with un-veneered backs, they were fun, until they were stolen in a factory break in when I was at Hatley St George about 1987

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

The early chipboard boxes HAD to be active, as the passive DMS models sounded rough and squeaky with most domestic amps, especially when Naim changed to the mostly horrible CB models. In March '83, the better made MDF boxes helped sort the passive 'Briks out as loads of extra work had always been done on the active PMS models with prior cabinets. By '85, the KEF mid drivers had deteriorated, killing the Kan and original spec LS3/5A's as well. Linn totally re-worked the 'Brik boxes in 86 or so and changed the KEF drivers to the higher power versions, flattening the peaky midrange and introducing substantial colouration in return - ugh!

I'll never forget a colleagues original spec 'tri-amped' system with three bolt-up Naim 250's, SNAPS supplies, Naxo, 12S and then 32 preamp and classic LP12/G707/AsakT. I first heard some of my favourite LP's on this system and 'Icons' by Siouxsie & Co remains indelibly stamped in my brain :twisted:
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Well these were odd ones, I heard a bit of history about them they were a pre-production or experimental pair built of marine ply. The backs were un-veneered ply. Pity they were stolen. I even know who stole them or in reality got a local gypsy family to do it. The police refused to take them back from him even though I told them where they were. They said he bought them in good faith - bollocks :x

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

there is no concession for buying in good faith , stolen property always belongs to the rightful owner.

Additionally , there is no statute of limitations on crime in the uk as many 70's celebs are finding out daily .

you should make a complaint :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

They said they couldn't prove it was the pair stolen as no serial numbers, even though there were a number of unique features to them. The Police were completely unhelpful even trying for a while to prove I did it myself for insurance money, until they found out the theft wasn't insured.

The person involved told a hi-fi retailer in Cambridge that he had *acquired* them and they told me as long as I didn't involve the retailer in the investigation.

Yomanze

Unread post by Yomanze »

Macca wrote:I count 7 bits. That's not that complex in the grand scheme of things but definately not 'simple and basic'. Odd speakers, Kans.
_D_S_J_R_ wrote:Didn't improve them though - that KEF B110 is a dreadful device and goes bananas at the top of its range. Not sure if thorough doping would sort it (Linn added extra PVA to every B110 and B200 they used up until the Kan II and Sara 9).
I need to own a pair of Kans, just so I can put them up against the Royd Sorcerer SE & see if there is anything to be fussed about. Tis a shame that I can't comment this uniquely cult speaker as I've never heard it!