Dual 606 turntable modification

A place for DIY project discussions.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Dual 606 turntable modification

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:eBay seems down at the moment for me :( Old Duals, like other auto decks, almost certainly share a common platform of auto mechanicals, the 10 series seeming to last slickly for ever with little attention needed. Some careful lubrication of idler, main bearing and motor bearings would be to advantage and Vinyl Engine is a great source of manuals and info on the forums there.

Not sure on the arm on this model, but a 1015 a chap on AOS bought seemed to be great with Stanton 500/Shure M3-D or any 'EJ'/G800 style of cartridge fitted. The 1019 can take sub 2g trackers with ease.
It will have a Shure M3D fitted.

bunsen burner
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by bunsen burner »

Somewhere I have a Dual 1019, is that similar to a 1014 ?

If so I would donate it for spares. The top plate has been cut about to use a Rega arm but the mechanics are OK.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:I just bought a 1014 to play singles on, it cost me £1.20 on eBay. :shock:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dual-model-20 ... true&rt=nc
Doc, this is a mid 70's 1214 model. I can't for the life of me remember what the difference was between this and the 1216, but I think it was just the motor (2 pole on the 14 with synchronous as an option and synchronous as standard on the 16 model). The arm is too low in mass to successfully run an M3-D in my own experience, as sibilance mistracking could be an issue (the arm isn't so different to the 701 model, despite the fancy bearings and counterweight on mine), but should you ever wish to do so, it should happily track an M75/91 ED with consummate ease at 1.3g, as did the 1216 with no effort at all.

Lovely old deck. Hope it does the business for you :) Cork mats ahoy - I use these and they help with idler sonics really well ;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cork-Turntabl ... 1c4382ea6d

P.S. To get motor noise right down, the wires must be as flexible as possible and also, an Armageddon style transformer coupler might be an advantage I suspect.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

For auto-changing, which is what I want it for with 45s requires a pretty robust cart and stylus, and there is nothing more robust than a M3D. I am quite adept at adding mass at both ends if the arm tube and bearing can handle it.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

You may have to. I added mass in the Dual headshell and there was enough travel on the counterweight stub to balance all this out. The arm tube and shell arrangement is a bit lively though and I was stunned to find some of the MC's I tried, offered no microphony at all...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...