Rega EL8 frankensteiners

A place for DIY project discussions.
EMG Slave
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Rega EL8 frankensteiners

Unread post by EMG Slave »

Hi, newbie here and have just (nearly) finished my first project. been lurking around here awhile and I came across a set of EL8's in terrible condition, both drivers missing from one, no foam covers, spikes gone, so I took a punt for £20, was told by the guy I would never be able to source anything that would fit as he had tried for years with no luck, so, I set to work, after contacting Lintone Audio I was told they would contact me when they found anything, that was over a year ago, so, google was my only friend, after intense searching I found Amazon had both the genuine Rega woofer/mid(£46), and the zzr tweeter(£26) from the current models!!, there were no sizes stated for the tweeter, but it 'looked' right, so I ordered and crossed my fingers, delivery in 3 days, woofer perfect fit although the centre plug thing was a little longer but the tweeter fitted perfectly, 20 mins later, all wired up and ready to rock although was expecting a dogs dinner soundwise, but, I couldnt be more happy, they are improving all the time, I am a musician so maybe used to a live sound, which to be frank, to my ears is always wanting, but, crank these babys up with some well recorded sound food and,,well, I havnt got 'golden ears' but the instruments seems full, the bass is a little wobbly sometimes but these are my first semi decent pair, my last ones being a mad set of Acoustic research spirit jobbies with a mind of their own!!, wouldnt class myself as a critical listener striving for absolute reality, but I've been in many a real room, with a real band and these arnt that bad at all, still cant find the spikes for them , the foam covers I may have to get made , but all in all a splendid first toe in the water and although worth very little I am very fond of them, so off I ride into the sunset with Kraftwerk, the Black Crowes et al, nicely reproduced for company and am on the lookout for another better pair that need to be raised from the dead, and the bonus is the bass wont ignite the folks living nearby, so, you probably think I'm mad but, the bottom line is, I am well happy with the end result and these maybe the the start of a excellent sonic adventure.

jammy395

Re: Rega EL8 frankensteiners

Unread post by jammy395 »

Your MAD. :lol:

Na seriously - Hat's off to ya, your patience & perseverance has it would seem paid off, good luck with yer next project. :clap: :clap: :clap: :guiness;

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Nice one! There's far more pleasure in bringing a damaged pair back to life than simply picking up a working pair.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

EMG Slave wrote:wouldnt class myself as a critical listener striving for absolute reality, but I've been in many a real room, with a real band and these arnt that bad at all,
That's certainly what I enjoy most - that feeling of real musicians playing real instruments (even if it is Tangerine Dream!). Anyone who wants the real sound needs to go to listen to live music: everything else is artifice. However, with a little 'willing suspension of disbelief' and/or a glass or two of what you fancy, this artifice can feel close to that reality.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Well done.

I thought the main drivers were still available from Rega - have they changed that much? The tweeter was the small dome Vifa as I recall, but I'm sure the later one is better anyway :) Perfect for a little NVA amp to drive them as the mid clarity will be enhanced no end :) Oh alright, I'd better return to 'form' and recommend a clamshell Mira or Luna as well (old brio's aren't really powerful enough!)
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

Only thing is that you may need to change crossover values with the new tweeter to get the sound as intended. Think Rega's have a very simple crossover (Royd influence)?
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

EMG Slave,

What amp & source are you using on those EL8's?

S.
Shane Lonergan.

guydarryl

Unread post by guydarryl »

Welcome, and well done.

You mention that the base can be a bit wobbly. I think that the EL8 has metal bars with spikes at the base of the cabinet. My regas have a similar arrangement and I found that a spiked slab under each speaker helped in cleaning up/controlling the base (that is on a carpeted solid floor).

all the best. Guy
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1
Sony cdp xb930, Alessandro ms1

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Rega used some very long 'custom' M5 spikes on the ELA and I can't remember if the EL8 used the same. 'Normal' length spikes may still be suitable. Again, ask Rega, who might be able to help. Not discounting Guy's post at all though, as EL8's and Alya's (same speaker, different clothes) are very light in weight.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

guydarryl

Unread post by guydarryl »

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:Rega used some very long 'custom' M5 spikes on the ELA and I can't remember if the EL8 used the same. 'Normal' length spikes may still be suitable. Again, ask Rega, who might be able to help. Not discounting Guy's post at all though, as EL8's and Alya's (same speaker, different clothes) are very light in weight.
mk1 ELA old chap :grin:

I think the extra mass of the slab helps the spikes to pierce my carpet/underlay and actually results in the points touching concrete.

Guy.
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1
Sony cdp xb930, Alessandro ms1