The Most Minimal Computer Music Converter

A place for DIY project discussions.
jammy395
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: The Most Minimal Computer Music Converter

Unread post by jammy395 »

Is it just me lads or does this MMCMC seem rather complicated - Just bung a fukin LP on.................Job Done :guiness; ;)
Last edited by jammy395 on Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Keithh wrote:Yes by way of clarification I couldn't get the WebUI to connect from my tablet only via a PC. I had partial success with MPDroid but that seemed flakey and stopped working but hadn't tried Sound@Home. Something to try now that I know that the hardware is functional.
I'm assuming that your PC is wired - you can get the webUI to work from a tablet but you need to know the IP address of the Volumio instance. Sound@Home allows you to control up to 4 instance of Volumio (I've got it working with 2) and you get the useful bits of the WebUI - but not the configuration elements of it.

I'd be interested to know if you think volumio sounds different. In the past I've messed about a bit with different OSes and sound and concluded that I preferred Windows 7/Jriver to various Linux variants and Apple Mac (which is also a 'nix under the hood) and thought that was it. Up pops Volumio and it doesn't sound to me like the others I've tried.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

terrybooth
Great Britain

jammy395 wrote:Is it just me lads or does this MMCMS seem rather complicated - Just bung a fukin LP on.................Job Done :guiness; ;)
Once they're going though: Sit on your favourite seat, poke a tablet - music plays - flick to your favourite discussion group or search the web for the artist you're listening to. Music finishes, poke the tablet again - music plays. Repeat until bored or sleepy. :guiness;

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

terrybooth wrote:
jammy395 wrote:Is it just me lads or does this MMCMS seem rather complicated - Just bung a fukin LP on.................Job Done :guiness; ;)
Once they're going though: Sit on your favourite seat, poke a tablet - music plays - flick to your favourite discussion group or search the web for the artist you're listening to. Music finishes, poke the tablet again - music plays. Repeat until bored or sleepy. :guiness;
Image When can I have one.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Image When can I have one.
When I've figured a way of untying it from my network (I'm going to try getting it to play with a USB drive and wifi next) then I can think about arranging for you to have a listen.

Keithh
Wales

Unread post by Keithh »

terrybooth wrote: I'm assuming that your PC is wired - you can get the webUI to work from a tablet but you need to know the IP address of the Volumio instance. Sound@Home allows you to control up to 4 instance of Volumio (I've got it working with 2) and you get the useful bits of the WebUI - but not the configuration elements of it.

I'd be interested to know if you think volumio sounds different. In the past I've messed about a bit with different OSes and sound and concluded that I preferred Windows 7/Jriver to various Linux variants and Apple Mac (which is also a 'nix under the hood) and thought that was it. Up pops Volumio and it doesn't sound to me like the others I've tried.
Yes the PC is wired but I only managed to get that working using Bonjour- probably a local set up issue. The tablet wouldn't bring the WebUI even using the IP. Patience ran out eventually, however, I will give it another go and report especially as you have had such good results and I have a bit more knowledge now. Final point is that I find the Vortexbox running Linux and theLogitech Media Server out through the Squeezebox sounds great to my ears. I have not tried Windows other than through pretty primitive kit.
Of all noises, I think music is the least disagreeable. - Samuel Johnson
In == Vortexbox + Raspberry Pi + BOSS DAC/ Goldring 1042 + SL-1210MK2 + Phono 1
Shaking it all about == P50SA + SP + A80s
Out == LS6 biwire + B&W 602 S3
Bubbling under == BMU

terrybooth
Great Britain

NewPi
NewPi
NewPi.JPG (1.33 MiB) Viewed 3057 times
This is the next incarnation.

I'm back to the RaspberryPi/HiFiBerry Combination. This time I've got Volumio 1.4 on it. The music is is playing is in the black box to the right - a USB external drive (USB 3.0) Just out of shot, dangling off the silver wire at the front, is a USB hub (with a very short power supply line!) which has the drive and a wireless receiver. I'm controlling it using Sound@Home on an Android tablet.

The usual getting started glitches. A few restarts to get it going. However, now I know it works, I'm going to reset it to scratch and see if I can get it working over wifi from scratch.

jammy395
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

Hat's off to you Terry, although I don't understand any of it, you seem to be on a roll.....Wish ya all the best with yer project. :clap:

terrybooth
Great Britain

My aim is to get to set down, plug in and play as easy as a CD player or a record deck. I'm a long way off that (as two hours of faffing about last night getting nowhere proved to me). And the point of doing that is to plonk it down in another hi-fi system and see if others like the sound (I think). Anyhoo. Keeps me busy.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Well, by the looks of it, cutting the RasberryPi/HiFiBerry from the network seem to work OK. I've got it playing 192khz files/24bit. So 1. the USB 2.0 interface doesn't appear to get in the way (which, if I new the numbers, I could probably have figured out using maths and 2) the unit is now independent of the network as far as playback itself is concerned.

It's got a wifi adapter in it (or rather it has a powered usb hub into which the wi adapter and the USB drive are plugged) but I haven't so far found a way of configuring this over the wifi network.

The process I've had to follow so far is:

Get the thing running with a network cable in it.
Get to the built-in web interface and configure the wireless network connection.
Make sure there is a connection to the wifi network and note the ip address it has taken (because you may still need to get back to the built-in web interface to get at some system parameters.
Pull the network cable.
Then I've configured the android application (Sound@Home) to control playback (select track/album/start/stop/turn off/restart)

I think the next step is to figure a way to control it using a laptop and a network umbilicus to get it started in another home network.