Goodmans Magnum K2

A place for DIY project discussions.
jimbob
Great Britain

Goodmans Magnum K2

Unread post by jimbob »

Just got a pair of Goodmans Magnum K2s and I am hoping to carry out some of the modifications that have been mentioned in other threads on here. So far I really like the sound of them even through my iffy amp. They sound like they have plenty of potential. The cabinets are immaculate however I think one of the tweeters is duff. Are these tweeters worth repairing (if possible) or would I be better replacing? If it would be better to replace them should I be looking at anything in particular? I have never picked up a soldering iron so I have no idea how any modifications are going to turn out!!

James
Squeezebox Touch - Cambridge Audio Azur (pre) - Mycetias 250A Power Amp - Mycetias V2 Speakers

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Goodmans Magnum K2

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I think there is a tweeter up at ebay at the moment. I know there are pair of bass drivers there. No if tweeters are gone then they are gone, can't be repaired.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Its a Magnum SL tweeter I think they are different http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-x-Goodmans- ... 3cded85149

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

Thanks for the reply. Yeah It certainly looks different to the tweeters in mine. Are there any other tweeters that could be used as a replacement or should I just look out for a replacement on ebay? I am in no major rush as they still sound really nice and it took a while for me to even notice!

James
Squeezebox Touch - Cambridge Audio Azur (pre) - Mycetias 250A Power Amp - Mycetias V2 Speakers

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

From what I have read on the net the tweeters are a Goodmans DT3 so I shall be seeing if any other speakers use these tweeters or I may just look out for a cheap pair of K2s to use for parts.

James

Andrew
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Andrew »

You'd probably do well buying a spare pair. The bass unit would probs fetch enough to get your money back.

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

I recon you are probably right. I will keep my eyes peeled. Is it worth changing the terminals on the speakers so I can use banana plugs or am I okay with bare wire? I want to order some LS3 soon and would like to know if I should alter things so I can have the cable terminated at both ends.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Drill and fit 4mm sockets.

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

Sockets ordered. I will keep updating as things get done. Am I right to assume that I will need to access the inside of the cabinet from where the bass driver is? The back of the cabinet looks to be a very snug fit and I can't see how I could get it off without causing damage.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I think earlier threads on Magnums go into opening the cabs. There have been about three threads. Use forum search function.