Goodmans Magnum K2

A place for DIY project discussions.
jimbob
Great Britain

Re: Goodmans Magnum K2

Unread post by jimbob »

Thanks doc. I'm limited by what I can fit through the bass driver hole but I recon I can get most of the inside covered. I will report back when I have done some work to them... oh and when my ap10p arrives... :D :D :D
Squeezebox Touch - Cambridge Audio Azur (pre) - Mycetias 250A Power Amp - Mycetias V2 Speakers

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Just emailed you about LS3. I have 2.5m set here from cancelled order, can I send this. If so I can ship Thursday for del Friday.

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

Replied to you on ebay doc. Sending me the 2.5m is fine by me.
Squeezebox Touch - Cambridge Audio Azur (pre) - Mycetias 250A Power Amp - Mycetias V2 Speakers

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

Today I have had a trip to Harrogate and picked up a pair of Magnum Ks I recently won on ebay. They were originally destined to be stripped for spares for the K2s but I think they are going to be kept and modified and the K2s kept for spares. The cabinets look and feel more substantial than the K2 but are a bit watermarked and a little scratched. However the cabinets are walnut and look like they have the potential to be quite stunning once restored. Sanding down will commence once I get some spare time. I plan to fit 4mm posts and do all the cabinet and crossover mods and will no doubt be asking for help and advice in the near future.

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

I have decided that I am going to use the Ks as my main speakers and store the K2s as the walnut Ks will fit in better with our rosewood furniture. As I have said the walnut veneer is a bit scratched and has some slight water damage. I was going to sand down the cabinets but I am a bit worried about going through the veneer so I am open to any other suggestions. I was looking at the Howard restor-a-finish but it seems not to be readily available in the UK. Has anyone got any suggestions as I really would like to get these cabinets looking as good as possible. If I can I will upload photos later. Thanks in advance for any help!!

James

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Andrew is the man to help.

Andrew
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Andrew »

I've heard great things about Restor-a-finish, but never got hold of any yet. Personally I'd sand them and use Danish Oil. It's the most likely to succeed IMHO. I'd probably use a sheet sander with a medium grade sandpaper to start, then a fine one to finish. You can always hand sand or use a detail sander for anything that remains.

I've sanded a few older speakers and not gone through the veneer yet, so you should be fine if you're careful. I should add that I'm just an untrained DIYer so please feel free to take my advice with a large pinch of salt.

I'm unsure if the water stains will lift completely, but it's worth a go. If you struggle to sand them out, I've managed to get rid of both water stains and cup rings with Ronseal ring remover. I was hugely sceptical, but it worked very well. It's cheap to try anyway.

I'm hoping Gordon Steadman will spot this thread because he's far better placed to give you the right advice. It can be very rewarding so I hope you have fun whatever you choose :grin:

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

Thanks Andrew your advice is appreciated. I was going to lightly sand but then got a bit worried about going through the veneer. I will try sanding then see what I can do to the deeper scratches. I have read that you can fill them with Crayola wax crayons or can raise deeper scratches with an iron and a damp cloth???

James

Andrew
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Andrew »

The iron trick really works. The scratches would need to be pretty deep to remain after sanding, but it's cetainly worth a go if they are. I've not tried the iron technique on scratches but it's been very good with small "dings". They just plump back up, so I'm expecting they would do the same on wood depressed from scratches.

You can actually buy sets of couloured wax sticks specifically for furniture repair. I mislaid mine some time ago but they were good ;)

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

Would you say it is worth trying to sand first then give the iron a try if any remain? I am just about to upload some photos. The smart cam on my phone has done something strange to the color but it should give you some idea of how bad the scratches are. One cabinet has bubbled slightly on the top. would it be worth trying to glue and compress before sanding or just sand and see what happens? Sorry for bombarding you with questions!!