Goodmans Magnum K2

A place for DIY project discussions.

Andrew
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Goodmans Magnum K2

Unread post by Andrew »

FWIW I'd sand them first. If you can save a bit of the dust you can mix it up with glue as a filler for any scratches that don't iron out. Gordon Steadman recently recommended mixing it up with superglue for this. I've only used PVA but he's a professional, so he's going to know far more than me.

His recommendation was on a thread at AoS about veneering speakers. There may be more good advice there too:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthre ... -questions

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

Thanks Andrew. I will take a look at that thread. It will be a couple of weeks before I get a chance to do anything to the cabinets (got an assignment due in soon) but I will definitely try sanding them and take it from there. I will update this thread with photos once I have sanded them (and collected the dust!!!). Thanks again Andrew!
Squeezebox Touch - Cambridge Audio Azur (pre) - Mycetias 250A Power Amp - Mycetias V2 Speakers

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I think the K bass driver is better but the mid and the tweeter are better from the K2. As you have found the cabinet is much more solid in the K, worse in K2, pretty flimsy and cheap in SL.

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

I thought the K and the K2 shared the same mid driver? Am I right in thinking the K bass driver does not have the shiny coating? Im sure it has a nicer cast basket as opposed to the K2s pressed steel one. You are right about the tweeter from what I can see through the cloth the K has a cone tweeter. May keep, may change the tweeter. Will have to have a good listen first. You are right Doc the K cabinet looks and feels much more substantial than the K2s not exactly shabby cabinet.
Squeezebox Touch - Cambridge Audio Azur (pre) - Mycetias 250A Power Amp - Mycetias V2 Speakers

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

There was a lot a hype a year or two ago on AoS (started of course by Marco) about old Celestion speakers. Well IMO big old Goodmans see off any old Celestion or Leak or Wharfedale by a wide margin, yet they can be bought for peanuts. The Leak sandwiches are muffled and horrible, a couple of the Wharfedales have promise, the Dovedale can be made to perform by using Doc mods. Old UK Acoustic Research are good and respond to Doc mods, best are AR2 to AR7 and of the latter ones AR17 and 18 - AR10 and 11.

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

I have no idea what old Celestion or old Wharfdale sound like but do always have a couple in my watch list on ebay. I really am very happy with my Goodmans and really did not expect them to sound so good. Looks can definitely be deceiving as to me these Magnums do sound tight and fast and in no way do they sound old. I expected them to sound warm and fluffy with bloated, overbearing bass. Not the case at all. One thing I will say though and I don't know if its the speakers or the amp but my system seems to call a spade a spade and poor, compressed recordings sound hideous. However, good recordings have the ability to put a large grin on my face. I would never have dreamt about looking at 40 year old speakers before reading about the Magnums on here but I will not be overlooking old speakers again. £70 for something that sounds so good! Makes me feel slightly smug. As a bonus my Ks were even cheaper. How people can dismiss speakers like this is beyond me. More people need to read this forum and see the light!!! All in the system I have now cost less than my Kef Ref speakers on their own and this is the first time I have been genuinely happy with my hifi. I now listen to my music and not my components.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Nice one Jimbob - There is indeed some glorious forgotten gems to be had out there.......I am totally speakered out to the max at present. (5 PAIRS)

Or I might be tempted to dabble yet again.

Strange but once you've got the rest of yer system sorted.....Speaker dabbling can be fun, with astonishing results both good & bad..... :epop:

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

Jammy I wish I could get away with having 5 pairs of speakers in the house! I always see speakers on ebay that I want to try just for fun. Just seen a pic of the Overture speakers you have. That's a gorgeous pair of speakers you have there. I am very happy with what I have right now. I do need more than 1 input so will be looking at an AP20 in the near future but after that I will be in no rush to do any amp upgrades. Like I said I would like to mess about trying speakers but not because in not happy with what I have. As you said, trying different things can be fun.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Jimbob - It must be said 4 of the 5 Speakers I have, kind of melt into the background 3 are in fact small (Ish) Wall mounts - the other a small bookshelf (R- Edens)..
Leaving my Zingali's which are so nice shona has said they can in fact stay in the living room...... :dance:

I can only now fuk about with speakers - cause my current system is the "Dogs Bolllocks" if I ever upgrade it's a no fukin brainer ....(NVAALLTHEWAY).

I have craved a set of A80's - A70's (New Mod's)....ssp's.......But alas outside fence posts and paving slabs are more important....Wimmen :doh: