Goodmans Magnum K2

A place for DIY project discussions.
jimbob
Great Britain

Re: Goodmans Magnum K2

Unread post by jimbob »

Well the modifications have took an unexpected start... whilst tightening up the positive cable on on of the speakers the screw down clamp suddenly went loose and I heard something fall inside the cabinet. After much swearing and having attacked the speaker with a screwdriver and a spanner I now have one speaker with no drive units and all the foam removed. Upon further inspection it turns out the nut had come off the back of the binding post and so the post just came out. Now I have the crossover exposed I am very tempted to do a re-wire using my soon to be surplus chord speaker cable. I just need to get a soldering iron and have a bit of a practice. Am I right to assume that I can just remove the wires going to the DIN connector and would this be worth doing? Anything else I need to be looking at doing? I have ordered some 4mm sockets from Wilmslow Audio but i'm still waiting for them. I have also ordered a pair of seas H0737 tweeters to replace the duff one and the other one. I was tempted to just buy another pair of speakers for parts but I didn't want to run the risk of the same thing happening again and It would be a shame to take apart a pair of good speakers just for parts. I have uploaded some photos to photobucket but they seem really small???
Squeezebox Touch - Cambridge Audio Azur (pre) - Mycetias 250A Power Amp - Mycetias V2 Speakers

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

Squeezebox Touch - Cambridge Audio Azur (pre) - Mycetias 250A Power Amp - Mycetias V2 Speakers

Andrew
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Andrew »

They look like a pretty tidy pair. I wonder what something with that sort of cabinet and driver quality would retail for today? £12-1500 maybe?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

A lot more than that, with distributor and current dealer margins about £2.5 to £3k.

£1.5 to £2k if direct sold.

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

I have no idea Andrew but they are very well built. They are pretty much immaculate to be honest, they were owned by an elderly gentleman. The tweeter problem is a bit of a shame but that will get sorted. I will keep updating as jobs get done.

Andrew
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Andrew »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:A lot more than that, with distributor and current dealer margins about £2.5 to £3k.

I'm not surprised at that. Why do people not see the value in such things, instead of buying some Chinese crap with a British name badge? I despair sometimes.

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:A lot more than that, with distributor and current dealer margins about £2.5 to £3k.

:shock: Flippin heck I wouldn't have expected that!!! What would you say is a modern day equivalent of them??

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

In terms of Cabinet style and quality and drive unit quality then probably the Audio Note versions of Peter Snell's designs.

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

Just had a look on the Audio Note website. Simple but nice looking speakers. Out of curiosity if I steel line the cabinet does the entire inside need to be lined? I'm sure there was a link on here somewhere showing some steel lined cabinets (jpw I think) and It looked more patch work than completely lined.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

The more steel plate the better, the thicker (within reason), the size of plate, the amount of panel covered. It is next to impossible to do the whole panel but try to get more than 50% cover. Royd put a large 4mm thick plate in the centre of the panel.

This is inside a Royd RR3 you can see the side and back plate.